• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at a Colorado

Dunlapx

NAXJA Forum User
So i have recently been looking at getting a Chevy Colorado, any thoughts? Iit is an 07 with 90,000 miles. Also do any of you know where i could find a good place to look for aftermarket parts for Colorado's, something along the lines of a quardratec or something.

Thanks alot

Danny

is that the one with the inline 5cyl?
if so,
I heard they had problems with one cyl misfiring, and I have ridden in either a Canyon or Colorado that had a misfire. The owner knew nothing about it, I mentioned he should take it in to dealer... no idea of the end result.

if no 5cyl, sorry no help for ya.

PM Ladywolf. She had one for a year or two.

The Colorado (Chevy) or Canyon (GMC) came with either a 4cyl or 5cyl. Both engines have a gas saving managment system where under certain non-load periods, they will drop an odd cylinder occasionally. This is not a problem, but a "feature", and to be honest most times you don't notice it.

If a 4wd, the front diff is IFS and aluminum to boot, so if you abuse it, carrier will break.

I drive a 2rd automatic for work. It has 38K an it and has been in the shop for the cruise control/brake switch recall, no tail lights on brake, and numerous ABS problems (failing within a block of leaving the shop).
I don't like all that hose crap hanging out fron under the truck, and every Colorado I have seen has this feature also. I am always afraid it will get caught on something on the jobsite. Unless you take the rear tires to 26psi and carry a load way in the back, it will suck badly in the winter.

I am 6' and the truck is not something I have ever been comfortable in. When you get the steering wheel set right, the seat is too far back to reach the pedals and visa versa.

It is economical at 26 to 28mpg hwy, and seems to carry a S-10 sized load OK.

The long and short is that I wouldn't buy one.

Ron

I am with Zuki, when I worked at advance I ran parts as well as working the counter and we had 3 colorados. Usually one would be good at a time. It always had a headlight out, no matter what we did. Ditto for the turn signals and brake lights. The interior was ok, but nothing I would call comfortable. And the 4cyl has some serous lag and power issues. The ABS is also super sensitive, enough so that if it had rained or was going to rain I would pull the fuses so it would stop. We had some of the first 2 model years though, and they were the corporate work truck editions. Maybe the retail versions were better, the interior has to be.

I just got a comanche in nice shape instead.

I own one. An '05 Colorado 4x4 Z85. Not the best truck in the world. I've had numerous problems with it over the last 20K miles or so. I bought it with 24K on it and now have just over 83K. Window track is off on the passenger side (wont go down), radio backlights going out (this is the second stock radio, the first was replaced under warrenty for non working CD player), burnt the blower motor resistor 3 times and fried the wires and connector going into it.

Check out Coloradofans.com if you want. lots of stuff there about all the things that go wrong with these trucks that chevy won't admit to.

My neighbor has a 4x4 5cyl and its on its 2nd motor with only 20k, he has had numerous issues with it and its a good thing he works for the Chevy dealer he bought it from. They work on it while he is at work almost weekly. He hates the truck and will never own another one.

I've driven a couple and liked em. I've never had a prolonged experience with them though. The 07 was the first year of the 3.7 5 cyl and the 2.9 4 cyl, both upgraded that year to address the power problems of the original engines. The 3.7 has power equal to the Tacoma's 4.0 V6 with fuel efficiency more akin to a 4 cyl. When I worked at the Chevy dealer I had a customer come in with an 05 4cyl to trade for an 07 5cyl. They loved the truck except for a lack of power when climbing the hills. Hence the upgrade to the 5 cyl.

I don't personally own one, or drive one so take this as it is.
My brother works for Union Pacific. He says they have some Colorados as shop trucks, and out of the 3 or 4 they have, usually only 1 is operable at a time for some reason or another.

I have heard my fare share of negative review of this truck. It's a shame, because I think it looks really cool and itd be a great truck if it had more power and didn't have so many problems.

I worked with a guy that has one. The leather interior is not bad for those under 6' or so. I'm about 5'10" and was pushing it. 4x4 works well for winter driving. 5 cyl. is severely underpowered with any real weight in the bed. The stock stereo sounds nice. Parked side by side with my old '95 Dakota, it looked like an oversized powerwheels toy. Drove like one too.

I drove a 4X4 with the 5cyl & little half doors in the rear at work,
I HATED IT, It drove & handled terribly, Severly underpowered, The worst handling truck I have ever driven. It leaned so much during slight curves on the highway that it always seemed to feel like it was close to rolling over.
There are much better choices out there!
Offering a POS like this to the public in 2009 It is a good example of why GM is in the trouble it is.
PS: The tranny went @ 15K.

Last edited:
Back