• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

kill switch

kndrewa

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
anybody set up a hidden toggle to cut power to the pdc or something?

for when you park your jeep for a week while you are hiking around in the wilderness.

or whatever.

theft prevention, anything that would prevent the vehicle from being started should a clever thief find a hidden key/whatever.

Yep, it is very easy
stop the power going to the dist an the fuel pump at same time. this takes two switches which looks like the other one on my dash

thanks.

so the process described on projectxj cuts power to the fuel pump eh?

i dont see how that would cut power to the distributor, but i suppose killing the fuel is just about good enough.

ultimately, i would like to set it up so that when the key is turned... ..nothing happens.

no turning over, nothing.

but, this is a great start!

I saw a great write up a while back about using a magnetic actuated switch and a self actuating relay to control power to the computer. You start it by turning the key on and putting a magnet near the switch which could be mounted behind a plastic panel where it is undetectable.

I have a switch that cuts a wire to my CPS when its off. Good luck finding it.

I used to have a security device in my old ford truck that looked like a cigarette lighter, and cut power to the distributor. It would only get power if the lighter was "in". If I was leaving the truck for an exteneded period, I could take the "lighter" with me.

Edit: found a writeup explaining the lighter thing. Its miata specific, but if you cant figure out how to adapt that to your own application, you don't need to be in a jeep.

http://www.miata.net/garage/killswitch.html

Last edited:
kndrewa said:
thanks.

so the process described on projectxj cuts power to the fuel pump eh?

i dont see how that would cut power to the distributor, but i suppose killing the fuel is just about good enough.

ultimately, i would like to set it up so that when the key is turned... ..nothing happens.

no turning over, nothing.

but, this is a great start!

If you put your kill switch in line with the yellow (on mine at least '93) wire from your ignition switch you will get the no crank that you are looking for. This is the command wire for the starter relay which in turn commands the starter solenoid. Also handy that if it dies for whatever reason it doesn't kill your fuel pump in the process.

jeeperjohn said:
I saw a great write up a while back about using a magnetic actuated switch and a self actuating relay to control power to the computer. You start it by turning the key on and putting a magnet near the switch which could be mounted behind a plastic panel where it is undetectable.

Your looking for a reed switch. I remember seeing a write-up on some forum somewhere, trying searching for reed switch to speed up searching.

A friend of mine mounted a magnetic switch in the column on his dodge PU right under the emergency flasher knob. He had a donut shaped magnet he set over the knob to engage the switch. If you didn't know it was there, no chance of finding it. (Entertainment: It wasn't for security, it was to protect resale value - the switch shut off the odometer! He used it to control the mileage on long roadtrips)

Back