• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Magnetic switch question

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So I am thinking that when I get my XJ back from the shop it will be getting a push button ignition. I have been thinking about installing one for a while but never got around to actually going through with it. For safety, I want to wire in a hidden fuel pump cutoff switch.

A couple years back I remember reading about a magnetic switch that would be great for something like this. I THOUGHT I read about it on here but I can't find the thread for the life of me. Reed switches came to mind when I was thinking about how to do it but most reed switches I find only stay on while the magnetic field is present.

I think I read about a switch that functions like this: Normally open circuit. If a magnetic field is applied and the circuit closes. The circuit remains closed until an electric signal is applied to another pin on the switch.

So in theory I would be able to install this switch in my center console or dash. Swipe a magnet past it when I get in the Jeep. Have the Jeep drive fine even if I move the magnet away from the switch or out of the vehicle all together. Push a button on the dash to open the circuit and cut power to the fuel pump or ignition, etc.

Anyone know what I am talking about? :gee:
Thanks
-Scott

Edit: Nevermind, my google-fu was off for a bit. I found what I was looking for myself I think.

Last edited:
Back