• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk upon acceleration

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
No its not the ujoints. There is no play and replaced a month ago. Bad motor mounts i doubt. I can rev it up and not hear it. Checked tunnel for tranny clearance in case it hits under minor acceleration. Put in a piece of rubber. Still clunks. What is next?

89 cherokee tomken 6inch lift
l98 corvette motor
nv4500 trans

It clunks louder in 1 2 3 but as the gears go up its not even noticable.

So where do i start?

if its clunk clunk clunk (continuious) check the u-joints.

Otherwise, engine or tranny mount, or possibly the exhaust is banging on the fuel tank skidplate (what happened to me once)

Could also be a slip-yoke,what type of set-up are you running?

i can turn it off put in gear and push it back and forth and hear the clunk. Its frustrating. It does it the most pulling out in 2nd and or 1st the torquist gears. I can slowly let the clutch out and it clunks. How much play should a driveshaft have with it in gear? Might have to cancel badlands trip over this.

Last edited:
My setup
stuff006.jpg

stuff008.jpg

found out there was only one bolt used to fasten up the crossmember to the tranny mount. And that bolt ate through some metal. Time to do some welding. If i add some metal to the top of the crossmember will that effect my pinion angle enough to cause vibration?

Try tightening down the u-bolts on your leafs. I had the same clunking noise after I did some leaf work and put new bolts on, the springs settled and the bolts were therefore looser and were causing some very mild axle wrap.
Maybe I'm wrong, but its worth a shot.

Back