• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver side front Camber off

Spruce

NAXJA Forum User
So I got this xj a bit ago, but haven't driven in the snow much until recently. I noticed that at speed (50ish) mph the wheels are all over the road. I'd call it wander, sort of like driving a boat. I checked it out today, and it looks like the front driver tire is bowed in (top toward the passenger side window). I'll include a pic, but it was snowing so it may not be super informative. I'm planning on heading to the alignment shop on Monday to see what they think about it, but I figured I'd ask here first. I have done very little troubleshooting on this because the weather today was so miserable, but I'm thinking it's:

1. really blasted ball joints
2. bent kunckle
3. hopefully not, but bent axle

Is there anything else that can cause 1 tire to get bowed in? Or is there some troubleshooting that I should make sure to do first?

Thanks in advance.

mbqfN24.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

You have to start with real and accurate numbers, just looking won't cut it!

No guessing allowed.

Pictures do no show anything useful regarding alignment.

Get some accurate data from the alignment rack and go from there.

I can see the cupping on the outside edge in your picture. How is the driver's side tire wear?

I have a similar wear issue on my new to me jeep as well. Passenger is starting to feather, everything else is fine. Maybe balance? Worn shock?

My guess is bent knuckle if you're not getting any deathwobble.

If you had a bent axle you'd know it.

Based on my experience, a bent front axle gets loud. Tape measure from the tubes at the end, versus the middle was off by 1/2" after some unintentional airtime. Had some visible camber and toe out after that too.

If knuckle and ball joint are OK and it's definitely a bent axle housing giving you the negative camber, there are options available to correct it. We can discuss the options, if you like, after you get the alignment checked to see how much negative camber you have.

Best regards,

CJR

So I took it to the shop, and i guess my toe was off by 2.5 inches so I had them go ahead and align it. The camber was off, but only by -0.5 degrees on the drivers and -0.1 passengers....So I probably could have just set the toe in my driveway and been alright, but piece of mind and all that. It drives noticeably better, and will be bang on once I swap out my worn steering box.

Back