• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is the torque sequence for the valve cover on a 4.0

i just did a valve cover gasket, i just started in the middle and did a sort of criss-cross pattern to get em snug, then repeated to torque(55lb-in).

There's no real "torque sequence" on those screws - but I think the early (cast) valve covers were 84 pound-inches/7 pound-feet. I'll usually do them in two steps - around four pound-feet, and then seven.

However, I did have some trouble getting things to seal up - here's what I do:

1) Get the gasket (I prefer cork) and a tube of LocTite #518 gasket eliminator.
2) Clean the mating surfaces thoroughly. Make sure there aren't any bits of sludge or old gasket stuck on them. Spray with carburettor cleaner (to remove oil film) and let dry for a minute or so.
3) Apply a film of #518 to both sides of the gasket and set in place.
4) Place screws, turn to finger tight plus 1/4-1/2 turn.
5) Go have a sandwich, and give this stuff time to set up (about a half-hour to an hour.)
6) Torque all screws in some even pattern (spiral in, spiral out, cross-cross, or whatever) to ~half of the torque spec.
7) Torque all screws to spec.

Let it sit overnight before you start it up.

Inline sixes can be goofy to seal in some places - most notably, the valve cover and the manifolds (especially on side-draft heads, like ours.) You just have to take a little more time and care is all...

Back