• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Hiking Boots!

XJ Jeepin Girl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ya'll. I spent most of today trying to find the perfect hiking boot. I got some really nice Columbia brand ones on sale at Gart sports. I can't wait to break 'em in. Any of you big hikers? If so, where do you go, what kind of trails?

Oddly enough, before I moved out here, I used to spend most of the summer out here hiking. Mostly over in Buena Vista taggin' 14ers. Unfortunately, we moved here a bit late and so I didn't get to much. Mostly I like to try and go where ever there is water. I do intend to get back into it a bit more. One of my goals is to through hike the CT and I'd also like to hit all of the 14ers. Since the move, the fish just wont stop calling my name long enough to do much else.

-river

riverfever said:
Oddly enough, before I moved out here, I used to spend most of the summer out here hiking. Mostly over in Buena Vista taggin' 14ers. Unfortunately, we moved here a bit late and so I didn't get to much. Mostly I like to try and go where ever there is water. I do intend to get back into it a bit more. One of my goals is to through hike the CT and I'd also like to hit all of the 14ers. Since the move, the fish just wont stop calling my name long enough to do much else.

-river

Yeah, I did a 14er once, quite a while ago, actually. You know of Mount Herman? It's not that tall at all, but it's probably my favorite place to hike, straight up!

Not familiar with Herman. I liked going to the ones that were a bit off the beaten path and stringing them together over the course of a 2 week backpacking trip. There's an excellent 5 day or so hike (depending on how many fish you throw to) that circles Huron and the 3 Apostles. This is a fun hike but you are off trail for almost all 5 days so you need your wits. There's another that's a favorite that starts at Yale and then continues on. That was probably my last hike in CO a few years back.

I'm running a set of Lowa's as daily foot wear. A bit agressive for the office, but reasonably comfortable. They seem to be effective Off-Road and Mall Crawling.

On a personal note, I belive Douglas Adams is right. Between our odd feet and the industries refusal to make compensations ( like different sizes left to right ) we'll all evolve into birds in a few generations and make "shoe" a swear word ;)

Hiking, Camping? Only if I have to. I bought a Jeep so I could avoid all that "get back to nature" crap ;)

Hi-Tec Magnum CT Side Zip (even though I can't really use the zipper - my feet are a little too big for my ankles anymore. You try jumping out of airplanes for a few years - I enlisted at a 10.5D, and got out at 12EEE...)

I've used Hi-Tecs for years - good, solid, all-around boots. They hike well, they camp well, and I've had forklifts parked on my feet without really noticing until I went to walk away.

Come to think of it, every pair of enclosed shoes I've got has safety toes - including the one pair of dress boots. Makes them easier to shine as well...

5-90

Asolo

enough said.

5-90 said:
Hi-Tec Magnum CT Side Zip (even though I can't really use the zipper - my feet are a little too big for my ankles anymore. You try jumping out of airplanes for a few years - I enlisted at a 10.5D, and got out at 12EEE...)

I've used Hi-Tecs for years - good, solid, all-around boots. They hike well, they camp well, and I've had forklifts parked on my feet without really noticing until I went to walk away.

Come to think of it, every pair of enclosed shoes I've got has safety toes - including the one pair of dress boots. Makes them easier to shine as well...

5-90

You know, I have never understood the rational of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. In war, it seems to make even less sense cause then you are just target practice.

Zuki-Ron said:
You know, I have never understood the rational of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. In war, it seems to make even less sense cause then you are just target practice.

Not neccesarily...

Nothing says "we like this airport" like a company + of Rangers paying a visit.

And nothing says "Is beed violated" like several dozen commando's running amok in your back 40, wanting to put a cap in yo dome.

I like my Hi_tec something or others for the sierra trails...

also wear them in the snow in Nebraska...

Zuki-Ron said:

Why not? An airplane is a much larger target than a man falling - and if you're doing HALO, you get to the ground fairly quickly.

Besides, there are times when an airplane really shouldn't stop anywhere, and HAHO jumping will allow you to come in to the DZ from an airplane several miles off course (which is also fun to do...)

Frankly, I'd sooner fall under a parachute anyhow - you don't show up on RADAR, and if the plane gets shot down, you can always unass the aircraft - if you haven't already...

If I hadn't done such a good job on my right knee, I'd probably still be jumping. I still have my nine-cell Vector that I'd gotten for sport jumping - fun deal.

Yeah - "We like this place" is the usual translation of a unit (platoon/company/battalion/regiment) of Rangers dropping by for a visit. How many depends on the size of the unit dropped.

Parting thought - "I don't care how many jumps you've made. Until you go out the door at 1200 feet in total darkness, carrying 90 pounds of gear and fifty pounds of parachute, you're still a leg..."

5-90

Zuki-Ron said:
In war, it seems to make even less sense cause then you are just target practice.

Waking up in the morning to a division of bloodthirsty heavily armed adrenaline addicted men arranged in a 360 degree perimeter around you doesn't seem fair either does it?

Dirty Nasty Legs will NEVER understand....

but to go back on topic...

Ft Belvedere is my choice

Perjorative for the benighted heathens not blessed with the ability or courage to jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

Guilty. But then I have a license to fly some of those perfectly good airplanes :D

I HATE shoes, or rather the shoping for them. Then I LOTHE the next Week it takes to get used to not having the fit or support locations my feet need to be truely happy.

Last edited:
A division may be overkill...

"Now we've got them where we want them - surrounded from the inside..."

5-90

BTW - I also had a license to fly those "perfectly good airplanes" - I was checked out on a Piper Cub, a Piper Cherokee, and on a Stearman trainer (damn, that thing was fun!)

5-90

5-90 said:
BTW - I also had a license to fly those "perfectly good airplanes" - I was checked out on a Piper Cub, a Piper Cherokee, and on a Stearman trainer (damn, that thing was fun!)

5-90

The Stearman sounds fun! I got to watch a few at Chicago's Meig Field before that good for nothing Mayor ran the dozers throught it. I was suprised at how large it was! The sound of the engine was like music. You never loose your license, unless it was a military thing. Civilian licenses are for life, but the medical isn't. Well, that's not quite true now either. The "Sport Pilot's License is self medical. Problem is I think you have to "downgrade" your SEL license to the Sport Pilots license to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Ah. I'd probably not pass the medical anyhow - I've gotten more short-sighted over the years... I still correct to 20/20, but uncorrected is another story.

Gawd, you could damn near tie that Stearman in knots in mid-air. Truly amazing... I didn't get to fly it often (I knew a guy that owned one - and he was a CFI, which is how I got rated,) but I relaly did my best to wring it out when I did...

5-90

Airmans medical> OT Re: New Hiking Boots!

5-90 said:
Ah. I'd probably not pass the medical anyhow - I've gotten more short-sighted over the years... I still correct to 20/20, but uncorrected is another story.
5-90

All you need is corrected. The nasties that keep you out of the air, get restrictions, or at least scruteny are actual medical problems. Eye surgery, Pulminary problems, diabetes, being deaf, limb/paralysis, and stones are the major ones.
You would be amaized at what sorts of problems people have, yet are able to fly. However, it is all signed off my a Doc, FAA, and when needed, you must demonstrate your proficiency.

The FAA is pretty strict. I crashed a Heli during training, and the Instructor had to retake his check-ride!

Well, we should get back on topic.
Hiking, what type of shoe, and where to hike...
When I was the original posters age, I would run my Father ragged over the hills when deer hunting. Up to a few years ago, the Ex and I would fly to a small airport, walk to town (generally 1 to 8miles). Tourist a bit, eat and walk back- then fly home. It was really fun and I think I got more out of that than I do driving there.

Ah. Well, I haven't been up in control for about 15 years - do I'd need to check out anyohw. It's something to consider...

I'd also need a more thorough checkup (post-accident, brain trauma) than I've had to date - but I've got the feeling that I'd pass just fine.

I wore mostly issue boots, until I tried Hi-Tecs. Issue works well for me (field boots and "jump" boots especially - for some reason, I never liked "jungle" boots,) but Hi-Tec seems to make a better boot for the price. Hi-Tec does have waterproof and insulated variations - I've tried them for when I have "wet" jobs, and they work fairly well.

I tend to be fairly picky about what goes on my feet, so if I recommend something, you can be assured that I've tried it.

Sorbothane Ultra-Soles? Love them - well worth the $20.
Best socks? Plain, white cotton tube socks. No dyes - and they make good water filters in a pinch, or you can line one with a condom to hold a quart to a quart and a half of water (depending largely upon the sock.)
Best bootlaces? Hands down, get some parachute shroud line and cut it to length (I usually use seven feet per boot.) You can't beat the price of the stuff, and I've yet to use a "high-tech, dedicated" bootlace that can do as well. Shroud line also makes good light-duty utility cord - it's worth keeping around in bulk on its own merits.

5-90

Back