• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double Cardan Joint replacement

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
Here we go again. I have read lots of the threads on this and the CV joint. Yep I know Eagle you hate it being called that , Heh heh. Any way I added an inch to my 4 inch lift ( 88 Pioneer ) and had no vibration or problems at all until I washed all the crap out from around my Transfer case the other night. Now the DC is squealing like little girl. I am going to replace it and the front U-joint. My question is this : Even though the original DC had 180,000 miles on it and I had no driveline vibration at all, do you think the extra inch was what sent it over the edge to failure ? This is on an 88 with the hi-pinion Dana 30. It also has the driveline that compresses and has the zerk on it to lube it. Not sure what they call those drivelines. The angle is fairly good on it with my type lift. Trailmaster. I can't afford a SYE right now after putting a 150 dollar radiator in it yesterday and the new DC and front U-joint is gonna run about $200.
Also once I put in the new cardan what should I keep and eye and ear on ?

Not sure that I understand what is squeeling and what is not. You do know that the SYE is for the rear driveshaft and the front shaft already has a DC and u-joint at the other end, right?

I just replaced the u-joints in my front driveshaft (DC and single up front) and it cost me between $15 and $20 for each of the joints x 3 = less than $60. With a decent vice or press it is easy to do.

HTH,
Michael

make sure to take the extra step in greasing the cardan joint itself when you have it apart.when you take off the upper joint there is a small pin hole in the yoke connectiong the two joints.there is a small roller bearing joint in there that allows free movement .that is what usually whines .

here is a good write up that shows how to replace it and what i'm talking about.

pavement sucks

Cool I always thought when you did a SYE you did them front and rear. I'm good then.
Oh I did some CV research too. From what the driveline websites say a Double Cardan is a CV. Just one type of many. I have neither. A little shit vise , no press and a carport in 20 degree weather. I froze my ass off last night doing the radiator.
Thanks !

Last edited:
Anytime you change the angle on your ujoints, they should be change. I am sitting at 7.5" or better and went from a 4* to 6* shim, started getting vibes, the driveshaft shop told me to change the ujoints as a starting point and low and behold the vibes went away.

Thanks for the page Opie. Eagle you are right as usual according to that page Opie sent. Read the following U-joint discriptions.

Universal Joints: A universal joint is defined as a "shaft coupling capable of transmitting rotation from one shaft to another not collinear with it." In other words, it is a mechanical device that transmits torque / rotary motion between two shafts that are not in a straight line.

There are 2 types, the:

1)Cardan style universal joint; and the

2) Constant velocity universal joint

Back