• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 cherokee Fuel Tank sending unit

surfstiling

NAXJA Forum User
I have been unable to locate anyone who has an after market fuel tank sending unit for the 13.5 gallon tank. Is there another tank and sending unit that would fit the cherokee?

The 20-gallon tank is the same physical size as the 13.5-gallon, the difference is an internal baffle (so I've been told). If you're buying a tank, get the 20-gallon version.

Don't know if the senders are different. Even if you put the 20-gallon version in the 13.5-gallon tank, it would be better than nothing. It might stay on FULL for a long time, but I expect that 'E' would always be EMPTY.

Just remember that you have a carburetor, and the tanks for the fuel injected models are different.

Did you check stewart warner and VDO, they both sell senders, you need the resistance measurements range though so you get the correct one. I have a catalog around here someplace but I'm headed for philly and can't look now, already 2 hours behind where I wanted to be.

My parts list only shows one sending unit for Xj's without FI. Don't know how accurated it is.

Back