• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hiking shoes

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
I picked these up a few months back, since my New Balance shoes wern't cutting it anymore.

They are Nevados. Lightweight, comfortable, have great traction, and priced just right.

I only have a few complaints about them though. They don't let the moisture out very well, the rubber is starting to come off on the side, and I got a rip in the side that is getting bigger.

I have 4 hikes on them. The most rough terrain has been the Ape Caves near Mt. St. Helens. Its basically an underground lava tube, streaches for 1.5 miles. Sharp, purous(sp?), rock. Probably compariable to the lava fields in Hawaii.

So to my question, what shoes/boots do you wear? Pro's and Con's on them? How well have they held up?

100_4199.jpg

100_4200.jpg

I had a pair of salomon's (Same as the ski/snowboard company) hiking boots/shoes a while back. They were awesome, the tread had an amazing grip. I was ale to walk accross a wet cable suspended between two trees with those boots on. They were leather on the outside which was very water resistant.

this looks like the closest to what I had
http://www.salomonoutdoor.com/us/products/Elios-Mid-XCR-1-51-8-0-433519.html

RichP said:

go to your local REI and try something a little more in tune with hiking. combat style boots will kill your feet and ankles in anything the northwest has to offer.

i just picked up a pair of these for light duty hiking and water fun:
http://www.keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=9

PROS:
they go on/off quick.
they are super comfy.
they keep my feet cool.
they are quite supportive.
i look like im from the future when i wear them.
CONS:
i look like im from the future when i wear them.

conclusion:
i love the toecap protection, as i always smash my toes up in sandals.
thats a thing of the past now, eh?
no new girlfriends cause of these though...

of course, all of my testing has been done on my EL commute in chicago.

ill get back to you after next weekend, when i get up to devils lake state park.

Another vote for Merril. Anything they make is a good shoe.

I have a harder time finding shoes that are NOT lined with Gore-Tex, in the summer I would rather have lots of air transfer than water-proof shoes. I like the Gore-Tex in the winter, but I wear a nice pair of Danner boots in the fall and some older Rocky's that I've had for several years in the deeper winter. I understand Rocky's are not what they used to be anymore.

I've been wearing Hi-Tec hiking boots for work (and hiking) for about 10 years now. The quality doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be, but they still last a long time, are comfortable from the beginning, and are light weight and reasonably priced.

Last pair of hi tec boots I purchased started to fall apart at the seems in less than a month. At two months they were no longer water proof. At three months they were in the garbage.

White's Packers. Had the same pair for 8 years, only been rebuilt once. I spend EVERY day in these, covering all kinds of terrain (surveying) and have never been uncomfortable.
White's boots are individually built to your measurements, and are extremely durable. My boss has had the same pair for 15 years and is only on his third rebuild. I will never purchase any other brand of boot again.

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com

This is from their sight:
The Original Packer

Over a half century ago, the White's Packer was designed specifically for professional outfitters and packers who required a strong arch for all-day comfort and support. Soon, workers in various industries discovered the remarkable qualities of the White's high Packer arch, and made it a vital part of their tools of the trade. Today, people in various demanding occupations, from ranchers and outfitters to mechanics and construction workers, depend on White's Packers for comfort and durability. Many find the boots so comfortable that they even wear them off the job.
  • Standard in 8 inch height
  • Standard in Brown premium full-grain, oil-tanned, water resistant leather
  • Standard Double Composition sole for heavy-duty performance
  • Also available with Single Leather or Mini-Vibram® sole
  • Optional pointed toe available
  • Optional hard celastic toe or ASTM F2413-05 approved steel toe
  • Four rows of lock stitching for rock-solid durability
  • Lace-in tongue guard and laces included
  • Completely rebuildable for years of extended life and value
  • NOT AVAILABLE FOR ONLINE ORDERING
  • To order boots you must fill out and mail in the "How to Measure" and "Order Forms".
  • For questions please call our customer service at 1-800-541-3786
Edit: You get what you pay for.....

lesslimited said:
I've been wearing Hi-Tec hiking boots for work (and hiking) for about 10 years now. The quality doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be, but they still last a long time, are comfortable from the beginning, and are light weight and reasonably priced.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2481979&clickid=body_rv_img

I have to agree with Less. They are the only ones that fit my feet correctly. The first pair I had lasted three years and I wore them to work all the time. The pair I have now are a little more than a year old and in perfect condition.

Glen

If Farragamo made trail shoes, they would be Merrell Chameleon Stretches.
Uber comfortable with more support than they feel like they have.

Red Wings.:thumbup:
They taken me everywhere I've asked them to.........comfortably.

Hale

I just moved up to the great outdoors, although I should get a nice pair of hiking boots or shoes, I will stick to my Nikes, nothing beats the Nike Airs for style and performance!

Jeff

well, i have to agree with Hale.

redwings

i got back from a 2 week backpacking trip in the canadian rockies about a week ago. my redwings could do no wrong. warm, waterproof, strong, leather, vibram sole = no problems. my buds had a lot of the other 'technical' mountaineering boots, but i saw no superiorities (greater in price maybe -ha)

i will make a new thread about that trip in this forum.

If I had one set of footwear to go anywhere with, it would be a pair of Danner Acadia. Wore out one set and about 50% into my second set.

I am currently wearing out a pair of Danner Ft Lewis boots. I need safety-toe at work, and want mid-calf coverage for street-biking. They are kinda clompy though.

I could spend more (or less?) but doubt I'd be happier than with Danners.

Back