• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount switches? Answer inside!

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I love switches, in fact that's why I got an ARB air compressor and locker! :laugh: But there is a problem with mounting locations in the XJ. You could do what Fitch did, which was really cool, but if you have or want an overhead console, I suggest this:

switch.jpg

Now this is an artistic rendering. There really are only 2 switches there now, but more will come. If you are thinking of doing this, and you have remote key-less entry, you'll have to relocate the circuit board that is inside of the overhead console (at least that is what I think it does)

The only problem I am having now is to figure out what to get more switches for, and finding the right switch and actuator to match the ARB (SPST 2 light switch V1DAJ66B, and blue lens actuators). If you know where I can find them, please let me know!

they don't list a SPST 2 light or the blue lense actuators. I may try and call them later tho.

I think ARB may have their switches custom made, but Waytek stocks the Contura style switch, which is what ARB uses. Can't hurt to call, but last time I tried to get something they didn't stock, they required an order of 100+.

Last edited:
RCP - Yeah, unfortunately I can't buy direct, so I have to call all of thier distributors to see if they carry V1DAJ66B.

mecompco - If I had a 96 or earlier, I'd proably do exactly the same thing. Nice install.

Yup. I'm anal. Everything has to match, and I like the way the V1DAJ66B look with the two lights and the blue rockers. Those are close, but they are Contura IIIs, so the texture pattern is different than the Contura II.

splitz said:
Yup. I'm anal. Everything has to match, and I like the way the V1DAJ66B look with the two lights and the blue rockers. Those are close, but they are Contura IIIs, so the texture pattern is different than the Contura II.

I'm more of a contrast guy then matching (see sig/avatar) :D

splitz said:

I didn't notice that. 4x4mod used to offer both switch types, you may shoot them an email and see what they have to say.

IllianaXJ said:
I think ARB may have their switches custom made, but Waytek stocks the Contura style switch, which is what ARB uses. Can't hurt to call, but last time I tried to get something they didn't stock, they required an order of 100+.

That too is my only gripe with waytek wire. I wanted to buy one of their tools to remove the rocker cover from the switch body itself and you have to order 3 of them, WTF? the switch bodies themselfs they don't have a minimum but the covers are 7 count minimum. They are high quality products though, and seem to be more geared to sell to the auto/earospace industry where they buy by the 10 thousands. I still order from them, and I do have extra of everything because I have to order so much extra to get what I want.

After seeing the Carling Contura Rockers that ARB uses, I spent a fair amount of time researching Carling switches. They are available in LED versions with differing colors as well as a few differing actuator options. They tend to be hard to find, with Ebay being a fair source.

I got mine from a small vendor in Alaska. Remember you need both the switches and actuators verifying the switch configuration fits your desired application.

Outdated photo, but outlines the concept. This version was green 'running' LED’s, with orange non legend when closed (on). Current version is Contura IV green 'running' LED’s with red for ‘on’ with legend actuators.

overhead_shelf_small.jpg

Opps forgot to mention, the switches ARB uses are incandescent with a colored actuator. Certainly not an issue (I use them for my lockers), but I found the color options were greater with LED's. Additionally they will probably last a lot longer then the truck :)

WheelinJR said:
I used those in my Jeep once. Within a month, 2 no longer worked, and none of them light up anymore. Plus they took forever to arrive.

Good to know. I like the -idea- of them, but they take up too much space. I use the smallest toggles I can find.

pierceME311 said:
That too is my only gripe with waytek wire. I wanted to buy one of their tools to remove the rocker cover from the switch body itself and you have to order 3 of them, WTF? the switch bodies themselfs they don't have a minimum but the covers are 7 count minimum. They are high quality products though, and seem to be more geared to sell to the auto/earospace industry where they buy by the 10 thousands. I still order from them, and I do have extra of everything because I have to order so much extra to get what I want.

They didn't used to be that way. I bought all of the switches for my 91 individually a couple years ago. I like the Conturas, but I just got parts store cheapies for the 01, mainly because I work there and it's easier. That and this rig is more about function, whereas my 91 was more about looking good.

overhead_shelf_small.jpg

I normally don't quote a picture, but that is a really nice install. You wouldn't happen to have any closeup pics or this in a higher resolution?

Back