• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion seal replacement?

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a dana 44 from a friend's 87 for $100.00. It's in good shape overall and even the drum brakes are in good shape. but the pinion seal is leaking. My question is can this seal be replaced without messing with the bearings? is there a crush sleeve in a 44 and if so will it have to be replaced?

Shouldn't be a problem to replace the seal, but while you have the yoke off, check the condition of the Yoke making not of the area the seal rides on. If you can catch your fingernail in a groove, replace it or your new seal will leak. IIRC the D44 has a sleive. Under no conditions should you replace the sleive as it is now at it's crushed value. Remove the yoke, inspect/replace it, replace the pinion seal, grease it, install the yoke and tighten the yoke nut. I just bang it on with a air gun :D

no crush sleeve.

Kyung

ditto on making sure there is no groove in the pinion. If there is, replacing the pinion seal and throwing that pinion back in is an act of futility. Mark the orientation of the pinion nut to the actual pinion with a white out marker. Torque it back on and line the mark up the best you can. Just banging it on with an impact should work fine most of the time, but better safe than sorry.

As said above, no crush sleeve in the D44. All you need to do is torque the nut to its proper torque when you replace it.

thanks guys, I'll probably just wait until I get ready for gears and do it all at once. no sense in replacing it once and then doing it again. The axle's not going in the jeep until the gears are done anyway. Anybody got any recomendations for a master kit for a good price?

Back