NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:50
NAXJA Forum User

242 not liking 4 high part time

I have a 96' sport with a aw4/242 @ ~115K. IT does not like to stay in 4 high part time when wheeling. has no prob shifting into full time or four low. just changed the fluid hoping that it would halp but didn't. when i shift into full time the partime light flashes till i take my foot off the gas and then full time engages. if i try to put it in part time it will engage the go into 2wd then back. sometimes i think i am going to have a seizure from the part time light flickering so fast. it is not a prob with the wiring of the light because i can feel it engage and disengage in the steering wheel. is there supposed to be a "indent" for the t-case lever to fall into? i can feel a little one but it aint much.

thanks
skog
Old July 22nd, 2003, 20:10
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, there should be an indent of the same intensity as the other positions. I would wonder if there is a bent fork in your case or warn shift pads. I haven't had a problem with 4 high in mine so I don't have first hand knowledge of it. I have had the same sort of problem in 4-low, but it was a linkage adjustment problem.

It would take a tear down of the case but you should also check the teeth on the mainshaft sleeve towards the front of the case. If they were damaged they would likely keep the case form completely meshing in 4wd (but I would expect a problem in 4-low as well)

Bones
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:45
NAXJA Forum User

4 low is nice and firm. it never has popped out or and prob engaging. the indent is very small and not enough to really hold it in when it come to trail riding. i still have this prob in a flat field though.

thanks
skog