NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 11th, 2005, 10:44
NAXJA Forum User

Speaker Water Protection

I've got a corrosion problem w/ my driver door speaker cable conncetions. Probably the 2nd time I've lost connection due to "green" corroded conncetions. The root of it all is what I suspect, the gap where the outside wiper seal and fixed cigarette window pillar allows water to enter. I'm thinking of making a baffle or wrapping the connections w/ Saran Wrap and taping it. Then caulking the gap from the outside w/ some black urethane. I thnki I've seen baffles you put over the frame of the speaker before you mount it also. Crutchfield maybe? Maybe some Dieletric grease over the connections?

Anybody else done this or anything like it?
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Speaker Water Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplatz
I've got a corrosion problem w/ my driver door speaker cable conncetions. Probably the 2nd time I've lost connection due to "green" corroded conncetions. The root of it all is what I suspect, the gap where the outside wiper seal and fixed cigarette window pillar allows water to enter. I'm thinking of making a baffle or wrapping the connections w/ Saran Wrap and taping it. Then caulking the gap from the outside w/ some black urethane. I thnki I've seen baffles you put over the frame of the speaker before you mount it also. Crutchfield maybe? Maybe some Dieletric grease over the connections?

Anybody else done this or anything like it?
You may wanna look into liquid electrical tape? I've seen it in some auto parts stores but it's more common in electronics houses. Hot glue might be a low-tech approach to consider and should be easier to re-work if the problem persists. Tape ain't gonna handle this if you need a water-tight seal. Silicone rubber should do the trick too though.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:00
Jackstand wheeler

About the baffles, I'm running them in my front doors. I got them from Crutchfield a while back. They're labeled as "waterproof foam baffles", but I didn't get them for water. They also help to insulate from road noise and help to project the sound from the speaker's into the vehicle. They did make a noticable difference in audibility in my rig.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:52
NAXJA Member

Dont use RTV / Silicone rubber. It outgasses acetic acid as it cures and will cause horrible corrosion in the connections. Liquid electrical take works well. I even use spray rubber cement.
Old July 11th, 2005, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

Try shrink tubing, it makes a pretty good seal. You could also try dielectric grease on the terminals. Possibly do both, light coat on the blades and then wrap.
Old July 11th, 2005, 20:26
NAXJA Forum User

Coat the plugs in dielectric grease.
Old July 11th, 2005, 20:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrocker
About the baffles, I'm running them in my front doors. I got them from Crutchfield a while back. They're labeled as "waterproof foam baffles", but I didn't get them for water. They also help to insulate from road noise and help to project the sound from the speaker's into the vehicle. They did make a noticable difference in audibility in my rig.
Are they the slim baffles (2 3/8" depth), or the regular ones (3 1/4" depth)?