NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 31st, 2004, 18:32
NAXJA Forum User

Weird noise...it's driving me nuts!

For the past few days, every time I would hit the brake, or put my XJ in reverse, I would hear an audible click, click, click from under my dash. (It almost sounds like when the rear defroster turns off). It's doing it almost constantly and i can't locate the source. Any ideas?
It also happens when I have my blinker on, when my windshield wipers are on delay, or for no good reason at all...

Also, my blinkers are REALLY slow. ive changed the flasher, and it works fine for a day or so, but it goes right back.

In an unrelated question, I notice that under neath my dash, there is a yellow box that has wires going into it, and the words "AMC" on it. What is it?

There is also a clear box, about 2" long, 1" wide that has a bunch of plastic gears in it. It says something to the effect of "smog-check" or something like that. Any ideas?
Old March 31st, 2004, 19:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Weird noise...it's driving me nuts!

I'll take a stab at the last two questions.
The yellow box is the cruise control module.
The clear plastic box is the emissions maintenance timer - you can yank that one with no ill effect.
Old March 31st, 2004, 20:05
NAXJA Forum User

My rear wiper stuck in the middle, caused a clicking in the fuse box, guess it was a circuit breaker. The rear motor tries to zero itself or park itself and will overheat when it canīt.
Old April 1st, 2004, 19:00
NAXJA Forum User

Well,

All my electrics work fine, it's just really annoying
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:47
NAXJA Forum User

try testing it with the fan off- I had a chunk of tape that sat near my fan-every time I`d hit a bump its get close enough to pop it an make evil clicky noises-- if its a constant click, feel the relay in the fuse box- a relay going bad will do this when electrical load is put on it(tail lights on/blinkers)

When(if) you pull the maintenance timer, remember- the bulb in the dash that lights MANT. fits every other socket on the board. If you burn one, remember its there for replacement.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:49
NAXJA Forum User

yea, iv got a constant clicking whenever i hit the brakes, i think its from when i turned real sharp goin like 20 in a mud puddle and bent somthin on the brakes, its been like this for 5 months, i just ignore it now cause the brakes work fine