• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making a XJ a 4 link rear end....thoughts??

Da XJ nut

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
:doh: I'm curious if anyone out there has tried to make a XJ rear end set up just like the ZJ to make it ride smoother and flex harder in the rear. I want to maybe tackle loosing the leaf spring packs and go with upper and lower control arms, track bar and springs in rear. I'm not sure how hard it would be if the brackets were available to relocate the front ones......why couldn't they be used on the rear for creating mount points. If not I will just give up up that silly idea.

It's been discussed about many times over the years. First the XJ is a more stable and predictable platform because of the leaf springs and the cost factor without benefits (other than racing) are not worth it.

There are a couple companies that make rear 4-link kits, but I have always been part of the “you can’t go anywhere with a four linked full body XJ that you can’t go with leaf springs” crowd

Im not sure i fall into the same category as rcp.
I may 4 link the rear at some point. For now leafs are easy to tune and adjust.

I'll be coil overd in the front in the next couple weeks. If I instantly fall in love ill probably not be messing with leafs again.

The offriad world has moved away from leaf springs for a reason

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ironman makes a pretty cool crossmember setup to run front and rear long arms.

I do like the iron man setup.

The days of leafs and rancho9000s have come and gone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clayton offroad makes a rear 4 link kit but they state it must be used with their front crossmember/ long arm kit.

There is also Iron Rock Offroad. They make a kit that is standalone.

The Ironman system is really nice but requires you to use their entire subframe system.

thanks for the replies guys. After I posted this I was bored and had a student to research my same question. Rusty's Offroad makes a nice little kit that has a crossover bracket and control arms for around 750. I could step up to the Long arm upgrade arm kit from Rough Country and have a full long arm kit under my XJ. It is a very costly idea to pursue and maybe need a little more research on benefits of doing the conversion. It would mean that I could just use my ZJ axles that I already have under my XJ without having to fabricate or weld anything.....I know that that takes the fun out of it for most of it. My Trans conversion to 4wd is almost done and looking forward to seeing how much lift my JKU 4" springs and shocks give me under my XJ. I'm hoping for around 6 inch range. :scottm:

a few grinding discs and some spring plates from ruffstuff and you can just throw that axle on with the leaves. Much more cost effective...

Back