NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2021, 07:06
Three-De Off-Road

Re: Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I hope they let me ride since I don’t own a Toyota, a Lexus, a Land Rover, or a roof top tent.
Old March 21st, 2021, 16:23
Three-De Off-Road

That was a great event. Had a good time at Windrock. It was cold and windy on Friday, but we covered a lot of ground. Very muddy. Saturday was beautiful, in the mid-60s, with no wind. The trails were considerably drier.

Titan Offroad did a nice job. They had the entire primitive campground reserved with the pavilion. They brought in a burger truck on Friday and BBQ team on Saturday for the provided dinners. On Saturday they had a live band play for an hour or so, and a raffle.

Learned a lot about Toyotas after spending the entire weekend wheeling with Tacomas, a Tundra, a 4Runner, a Lexus LX450, and a couple FJ Cruisers.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 09:55
Three-De Off-Road

A few pictures from the Shamrock Shakedown:

Old March 25th, 2021, 20:35
NAXJA Forum User

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Any idea what trails you did cotton? I'm assuming y'all stayed mostly on blue trails?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old March 26th, 2021, 08:20
Three-De Off-Road

I don’t remember the trail numbers. We did do intermediate and easy blue trails
Old March 30th, 2021, 07:47
NAXJA Member

It looks like you had a good time. If you like to ride, Windrock is a fun place to just go cruise.

In other news, I renewed my membership this month so I can win some prizes. Haha!
Old March 30th, 2021, 07:54
Three-De Off-Road

That last picture of me dropping into the mud puddle, there is a rock you can see by the rear tire that jumped out and grabbed a Tacoma just behind the front tire. That spooked the rest of the group. All the Toyota guys grabbed shovels to fill in the ruts, pulled out chainsaws to cut deadwood to pile in the ruts, and even used a sledge hammer to knock off some of that rock. I was actually behind that Tacoma and had to pull him out. I told them if they were going to build up the trail to let me go first while it was still rutted out.

One dude put a dent in his Tacoma rocker panel and I was certain he was about to cry, but he held it together. When we got back to camp, he drove to town to get a wifi signal and ordered rock sliders that afternoon.

My thing is - if you are going to drive a stock height daily driver with no protection and AT's on a muddy, rutted trail and be scared of scratches or dents - DON'T GO!
Old March 30th, 2021, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

Lmao!!!! When I am looking for new trails at windrock I turn around when I follow the typical yota with a rtt.... I just know I'll be bored lol

Old April 12th, 2021, 04:33
NAXJA Forum User

Welp I kersploded a rear driveshaft, u joint, and 8.8 flange adapter.... 1 wrong bounce. Drove a 45 minute ride home in fwd. The lunchbox made that a VERY interesting experience. I keep a spare driveshaft, but stupid me never thought to have a spare adapter. Ordered 2 this time around!

Old April 12th, 2021, 09:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowXj View Post
Welp I kersploded a rear driveshaft, u joint, and 8.8 flange adapter.... 1 wrong bounce. Drove a 45 minute ride home in fwd. The lunchbox made that a VERY interesting experience. I keep a spare driveshaft, but stupid me never thought to have a spare adapter. Ordered 2 this time around!

After having that happen, I switched over to a yoke instead of a flange. Seen a lot of flanges and adapters break on 8.8s

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old April 16th, 2021, 12:04
Three-De Off-Road

Got my 98 ZJ back from the shop. Had them do a once over and list all the issues they found. I have to replace both front wheel bearings, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket.

I am also leaking tranny fluid at the junction between the transmission and the transfer case, but that will require the t-case to come out. Still thinking about that repair.

Lastly the wire/connection that runs the alarm is bad in the drivers door switch and that part isnít in production anymore. Hoping I can just unplug it and call it good.
Old April 16th, 2021, 12:05
Three-De Off-Road

Got my 98 ZJ back from the shop. Had them do a once over and list all the issues they found. I have to replace both front wheel bearings, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket.

I am also leaking tranny fluid at the junction between the transmission and the transfer case, but that will require the t-case to come out. Still thinking about that repair.

Lastly the wire/connection that runs the alarm is bad in the drivers door switch and that part isnít in production anymore. Hoping I can just unplug it and call it good.

Also have all new shocks to install
Old April 18th, 2021, 05:48
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah that's a good idea... I'm at around 3 to 4 inches of lift and running stock front driveshafts. I was afraid the yoke would make my shaft to short. Did you have that problem?

Old April 19th, 2021, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

Welp, decided I didn't like the standard winch bumper option ... Thoughts on winch position?

Old April 20th, 2021, 16:49
NAXJA Member

Well, I have the JK Rubicon rear diff ready to put under the old XJ. I wanted to put it under this past weekend but could not make it happen. Too much rain. I will try again this weekend.
You guys who went this route, What did you do for parking brake cable?

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.