• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy pitman arm for cherokee

I just did this swap. Have high steer arms. My geometry was off with the 2" waggy drop. So I went with the stock waggy arm. Not nearly enough turning. So I'm thinking I'll need an offset heim on the trackbar at the frame side. Would like to attach a picture but don't see how.

Need a pic and info on what your current set-up is. For pics you need a "host" service like imgur or photobucket.

Offset arm won't change anything with geometry hole to hoke is always the same.

If it needs to be offset for clearance issues there could be gains to be made there.

Good thread by the way. I like reading through old threads and seeing what used to be. Guys used to actually tune there rigs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm running Reid knuckles with harsh terrain high steer arms. I have 2 pictures in the link. The top one is with the 2" drop waggy pitman arm. The second is where the geometry looks better but that is the stock waggy arm that doesn't give me enough turning. I'm no where near hitting the stops on the knuckles. I've since cut off the end link brackets that prevented me from moving the tie rod up. Also. The arm have 2 holes in them. Should the drag link end be closest to the c knuckle?

http://imgur.com/gallery/m7uZvsi

First picture ot probly bump steers like crazy.
Track bar needs reworked to mach drag link.

2nd one drag link is steeper so you lose steering.

I personally would run the first picture and rework track bar to match

Looking closer i like the drag link in first picture alot.
I'd rework track bar so its longer looks like bracket could move closer to coil spring and frame side could gain length there.

Ideal would be a track bar thats the same length as drag link. Yours looks alot shorter than drag link

First picture ot probly bump steers like crazy.
Track bar needs reworked to mach drag link.

2nd one drag link is steeper so you lose steering.

I personally would run the first picture and rework track bar to match

That is what I'm thinking. Since that also uses the 2" drop waggy pitman arm like others have had luck with. My issue is the frame end of the track bar uses the Rubicon express combo brace/ drop bracket. That end has a heim. Now this drop bracket is 2" vs the other picture is 2". My thinking is to use an offset heim up to, which offsets 1", and that would give me better geometry. Can I not do that, as long as nothing is blocking it? I'm trying to keep that to bracket and brace. As you can see, I'm already in the top hole of the bracket on the axle.

an offset heim doesnt change anything, the bolt center to bolt center relationship is whats important and an offset heim does not change that relationship. think of it like a strait trackbar vs a bent trackbar...

before addressing anything with the trackbar, i would find a pitman arm you are happy with. something that gets you full lock to lock, and clears the oil pan at full compression (this is where i found most issues to be with high steer).

the drop in the pitman arm is up to you. but what is going to get you more steering isnt the drop, its the center to center length (see photo in post #20). since your knuckels arent hitting the stops, you have two options. a longer pitman arm with more "throw" or a shorter high steer arm. ideally you want the steering gear and and knuckles to both hit their stops at the same time. i ran a flat waggy pitman arm on my 44, but different high steer arms.

if space allows... i would be trying to run the drag link on top of the high steer arm and the tie rod on top of the steering horns on the knuckle.

Back