NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old February 7th, 2021, 21:03
NAXJA Member

The Black Pearl

Thanks Mayhem. Yeah Iím putting this together to still be streetable, maybe not long distance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 8th, 2021, 11:53
NAXJA Member

The Black Pearl

Those lights look super nice. Hope the new MC solves your problem.

Old February 12th, 2021, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

The Black Pearl

Are you using the stock 96+ booster?
Old February 14th, 2021, 21:57
NAXJA Member

Re: The Black Pearl

correct
Old February 28th, 2021, 21:54
NAXJA Member

The Black Pearl

Quick update since itís been a minute. I got rid of the JCR diy bumper Iíve been slowly modifying over the years for a fancy tube bumper with a tire swing out. Took a while to get here and was more than I wanted to spend but itís got a much more robust interface with the jeeps unibody and looks a 1000x better than what I had before.

Painted it up the next day and threw it on after work. Needed to widen the holes that the nut strips slide into and ended up having to plasma cutting concentric holes in my shackle boxes and gas tank skid and frame for the bumper to mount correctly. I still need to fix one more hole and have 5/6 mounting bolts in right now. Feels pretty sturdy actually.

Ran to Home Depot for some hardware and used some scrap to fab up a quick hi lift mount. Used delrin and 3/8 bolts welded to 3/16Ē thick tabs to space the lift off the bumper. Held on with wing nuts that I tightened the shit out of with a wrench. I will still store the jack inside when itís parked at the house.

Weíll see how long this holds...

Still waiting on front shocks to show up, havenít really put any thought into how I want to mount rear shocks with the truss in the way. I have a feeling that I lost clearance for shocks between the axle and the gas tank skid when I stretched the rear a bit.

The bulk of my time on the weekends lately have been spent on the K20. I bought an aftermarket relay/fuse box and wanted to wire the lights and accessories the correct way while using waterproof quick connectors and good thick stranded copper wire all wrapped in lume. Previous owner(s) did very sketchy shade tree wiring. Sometimes I daydream about selling this truck for something modern and fuel injected but itís so damn fun to drive. One thing I havenít done yet is put some rubber 11s down on pavement. I should do that someday...

Old March 21st, 2021, 21:04
NAXJA Member

The Black Pearl

Spent most of the day working on the Jeep. Got the power steering cooler mounted. I didnít get good photos of how I mounted the cooler but i found a spot where itís tucked away and gets decent air flow from the fans.

I welded the provided grade 8 bolts to the top of the steering box brace to basically make studs. Then used the provided washers and nylocks to lock it in place. Spliced the cooler into the factory return line and re-bled the system.

Also got a 1350 cv yoke for the front output of the tcase, uses the same seal as the stoke yoke. Front shaft is right around 30Ē 5/8Ē while the rear was 36Ē. Gonna make a phone call to my favorite local driveline shop and hopefully be the one of Steveís last customers before he retires.

clears the tcase shift linkage.

Ordered a set of M7100 bilstein piggy backs at the end of January, still no word on them. Anyone else having issues or heard of other people having issues with procuring bilsteins? Iím inclined to cancel my order and look for other options pretty soon but I may try to get a hold of someone at Bilstein at the distribution level. Annoyed.

Old March 22nd, 2021, 13:10
NAXJA Member

Just get some universal 5100 or 5125s that fit and call it done

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old March 22nd, 2021, 17:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondejoncherokee View Post
Just get some universal 5100 or 5125s that fit and call it done
I know, I'm regretting selling the 5100s from my clayton lift now.
Old March 27th, 2021, 07:52
NAXJA Member

The Black Pearl

Made some calls earlier this week and spoke with the west coast Bilstein hq. Iím not sure if it was a case of good timing or just what but they had 5 units of the part number I ordered come into inventory from Germany this week. Had the shop I ordered through reach out to Bilstein and they secured two for me.

The billet clamps were from Amazon and I got the shock stem conversion from teraflex. Theyíre about an inch and a half long which was accounted for when I was doing the math to determine size. These are 10Ē body 12Ē shaft with 1/2Ē heim joints at both eyes.

Ordered front frame stiffeners earlier this week as well. Theyíre a bit nicer than most options out there as they wrap under the unibody along the whole wheel well...not just the steering box area or not just between the track bar and the original LCA bracket.

Also got the front driveline made, Iíll throw that on soon

Old May 12th, 2021, 21:33
NAXJA Member

The Black Pearl

Been on the paper chase at work lately but Iím working towards a deadline. Some RK buddies want to make a rubicon trip in June. After I got the shocks on, I was confident enough to take this thing in the freeway and man it felt like it didnít have enough positive caster. Super touchy steering feel, wanted to dart all over the road, wheel resisted returning to center while moving. My UCA is bottomed out so I lengthened my LCAs. That gave me more positive caster and flattened my coils out. Helped quite a bit but it could use more positive caster adjustment. No front driveline vibes felt yet. I was thinking it may be bump steer but going over larger and more gradual speed bumps doesnít make the Jeep dart/wheel jerk one way or the other.

I need to find a big rock or forklift to iron out limit straps. Bump stops should be easy to make just gotta sit down and get the jack stands out.

Something in the rear sounds kind of clunky, could be from no shocks and/or non balanced wheels/tires. I double checked torque specs on leaf spring perch bolts, 100ft/lbs. shackles and shackle boxes are tight so Iíll keep chasing down the noise. Every now and then Iíll get on a good smooth patch of asphalt and the Jeep rides real smooth.

Got rock lights in the rear and wired tonight. Tried to keep it as clean as possible. Lights are hidden under interior trim inside the cargo area. Iíd like to put some lights on the tire swing out and lift gate for cooking or dicking around at night on the trail.

As far as rear shocks, Iím leaning towards outboard shock towers since the boostwerks towers have been out of stock and the dude doesnít reply to emails. That way I can run a bit longer shock and maximize down travel. Been looking at Artec as opposed to bending tube and making hoops. Might even let the towers protrude into the cargo area just a bit and tie the towers into a cage. Still brainstorming.

My work is selling the Ď95 YJ I used to drive. Stock little soft top/half door, 4cly 5 speed. Runs like a champ, no thermostat, passes smog. Part of me wants a built yj but I have enough toys as it is and have other things to save money for. Canít save all the jeeps 🙁