• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydro assist steering

about to do the same thing... couple things I've noted.

measure your drag link movement, match your ram throw to it. internally stop where it should so you don't break shit with the ram.
depending on tire size, smaller diameter rams are faster. so match dia. to tires. there's a guide somewhere..

found it. from W. TX offroad
Our general guideline is to use our 1.5" ram for up to 37" tires, 1.75" ram for up to 44" tires, and our 2" ram for 44+" tires. However depending on what the vehicle is used for these recommendations can change. For example vehicles that are mainly steet driven we might recommend using our 1.5" ram even with bigger tires. The difference between the two rams is the 1.5" ram steering speed is a touch slower than stock. The 1.75" the steering speed is a noticabley slower than stock.

I'll be using W.Tx Offroad and will likely drill and tap my own box.

For the cooler, be sure to mount it at a level below that of the reservoir level. If mounted higher, you may not get all the air purged out, even with a vacuum tool. I made this mistake once, then lowered the cooler, all is good now. I run a two tube cooler in front of radiator, it is a repurposed stock XJ tranny cooler.

I also installed an inline filter, a Magnafine type, made for power steering and auto tranny fluids. Put the filter on the return line, not the pressure line.

LINK...

https://magnefinefilters.com/

if you tap the box yourself do you intend to take it apart or leave it together ?

leave it together. The one I'm running now has been on there for 6 months and 50 miles so it's in good shape and doesn't need a rebuild.

leave it together. The one I'm running now has been on there for 6 months and 50 miles so it's in good shape and doesn't need a rebuild.

mine doesnt need a rebuild either, im sure i could drill & tap it myself just dont really know if i can safely keep the metal shavings from entering the box. which would eventually ruin it. i know i cant take it apart & reassemble it , not even going to try that. whats ur plan to keep the metal out of the box?

not real sure. try to flush it out best I can. thought about small magnet or an attachment for the shop vac small enough to get off in there.

not real sure. try to flush it out best I can. thought about small magnet or an attachment for the shop vac small enough to get off in there.

psc quoted me 375.00 to rebuild & tap it , excludes ship to & from, cost at least another 90-100 bucks, bleepin jeep is 275.00 take it apart tap & reseal includes shipping back to me. add maybe 40.00 ship to them. its a 3 yr. old hd big bore psc box. im on the fence what to do ?

psc quoted me 375.00 to rebuild & tap it , excludes ship to & from, cost at least another 90-100 bucks, bleepin jeep is 275.00 take it apart tap & reseal includes shipping back to me. add maybe 40.00 ship to them. its a 3 yr. old hd big bore psc box. im on the fence what to do ?
BJ quote isn't bad at all. Didnt realize they offered such a service.
Perhaps I've watched too many vids of kids tapping their own boxes and essentially saying "**** it" when it comes the getting metal bits out of the box.... hate to had a problem down the road

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BJ quote isn't bad at all. Didnt realize they offered such a service.
Perhaps I've watched too many vids of kids tapping their own boxes and essentially saying "**** it" when it comes the getting metal bits out of the box.... hate to had a problem down the road

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

i believe i will let BJ do it, they have a video of the guy that does it on the site, takes the box completely apart , taps it , install the fittings . it gets reassembled w/ new seals, painted & returned w/in a about a week. the price is fair & saves me from screwing it up.

Back