• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side water leak...

Patriot

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a leak coming down into the passenger side tub. It happens when it rains or when the a/c is on. I've looked at the window seals and poured water so that only the window seals get the water. It isn't the window seal leaking.

I've also searched on the web for clues to what it might be and found that the a/c condesed water gets blocked at a tube that runs through the firewall. When the tube is blocked the water gets backed up and runs into the passenger side tub. I also read that the tube is located underneath the two heater hoses that run through the passenger side firewall. Well, I can't see a tube underneath the two heater hoses that runs through the firewall. I see the canister and the three prongs coming of the canister with only two tubes attached, one on the center prong and one of the prong furthest from the fire wall. The prong closest to the firewall doesn't have a tube attatched. Is that the tube I'm suppose to be looking for? Can someone tell me how big around the tube I'm looking for is?

I'm hoping that the leak when it rains will stop when I clear that tube out.

sounds like thats the tube your looking for, it should be around the diameter of your little finger internally...maybe smaller. many times they have a 90 degree elbow pointed down. try this, instead of pouring water on the window seal, pour water a medium to low flow from a garden hose around the grille in the cowl at the base of the windsheild. search for your leak under the dash while this is happening. Ill be honest, I've never heard of a clogged evaporator case leaking during a rain storm...only during a/c use. one final note; On my 86 the adhesive that held the windsheild in place separated from the truck (only had 6" holding the glass in above the drivers side :eek:) that caused the same problem for me.I found out bu pushing outward on the glass and looking for movement.I used 3M windshield resealer, just be careful cause the stuff runs like crazy and is a real bear to get out of carpeting. I suggest getting some kind of foam tape that you could "dam" up the areas that need resealing to prevent a mess.

hth

Thanks for the help. I think I'll run some resealer and see what happens.

I just went and pulled the wiper fluid container off. I found the little pipe, I think. It's directly underneath the two heater hoses and it sticks out about 3/4" from the firewall and made of a hardened plastic like PVC. I don't see how anyone is able to remove it. To me it looks like it's part of the plastic funnel that sits inside. I stuck a pen inside to see if it was clogged, but it seemed clear to me. I think I'm going to have to pull the whole thing and see if it is clogged.

I also see the a/c systems fan, at least I think it's the a/c's fan, maybe it's the fan used for both the heater and a/c. I'm not certain. It has the motor portion in the engine compartment underneath the wiper fluid container and the fan is inside the cab. The seal around it near the bottom looks pretty worn. I dumped some of the wiper fluid on the seal and it was also leaking. What is the proper name for that fan assembly? I'm going to have to order a new seal for that as well, but I want to avoid the dealer.

Back