• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Long arms to long???

kegcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what ya'lls opinion of using the new RE long arms would be. I have been doing some math and trying to figure out how i could make a bracket for them and have realized that they are super long, they are 37-38" long (where most long arms are like 28-30")and at that length they come to the second bolt back on the stock cross member. I was wondering if any of ya'll thought that that might be to long, cause i don't want to go through the trouble of making the brackets and spending all the money if i am just going to end up messing them up because they are right about in line with the break over angle of my XJ. any thoughts, pics or info would be appreciated.

THANKS,
KREGG

I think that the auto and manual cross members are at different locations ~8-10" Do you have a 5 speed?

M. Lake said:
I think that the auto and manual cross members are at different locations ~8-10" Do you have a 5 speed?

I have to pull the :bs: alarm on this one. I have worked on LOTS of Cherokees and never encountered one that had the crossmember in a different location in regard from auto to manual. The crossmembers use the same bolt holes in the frame regardless of the tranny type. The only execption to this is if its a custom crossmember. If you find an XJ with different crossmember mounting locations, please let me know.

AARON

now that type of a mounting system i like, does anybody else have any pics or info they could shed on the subject.
thanks for the idea,
KREGG

Some of you guys know Bill...he's done a lot of work on this rig and I shot a couple of photos for IDEAS on how to mount the LAs. Please don't PM me asking for measurements, etc. ;) That's part of the fun of fabbing your own stuff. Anyhow...

They're not too long, just mount them up and inside...like this:

RETJLA.jpg

This way you don't have those goofy things on the frame catching on crap. ;) Buddy of mine set up what you see above. He's had the longarms on since they came out for the TJs, way back when.

Can't really see all *that* well, but they're really not noticable from the side. They're great with 37's. ;) He said while on BOTW II a lot of the 'long arm' guys were hanging up on rocks and stuff with the arms mounted on the bottom of the frame. He said he didn't have any problems. :) Hats off to him for his work. He does some nice stuff.

BillSide.JPG

M. Lake said:

MrShoeBoy said:
I have to pull the :bs: alarm on this one. I have worked on LOTS of Cherokees and never encountered one that had the crossmember in a different location in regard from auto to manual. The crossmembers use the same bolt holes in the frame regardless of the tranny type. The only execption to this is if its a custom crossmember. If you find an XJ with different crossmember mounting locations, please let me know.

AARON

TC NAXJA Member said:
My wifes '89 Auto was different than my '91 5-speed. HTH TC

CRSU said:
The XJs with a BA-10 tranny use a mounting spot ~4" forward of the "standard" mounting points.

Andy

Did I say "I think"? I must have been wrong!:angel:

MrShoeBoy said:

AARON

Well,you evedently havent worked on two many.Thats what the other set of holes in the framerail are for!

Which RE long arms are we talking about? I was under the impression that the new ones for the XJ were not out as of yet. Are we talking about using the ones that are already out for the TJ on an XJ and fabbing a custom crossmember?

Just curious:confused:

Dave

MrShoeBoy said:
I have to pull the :bs: alarm on this one.

AARON

Turn the alarm off........
I swapped an AW4 into my 89 to replace the BA/10-5speed.......had to move the X-member back about 4" to the rear mounting holes. Kinda makes one wonder why they put those extra holes in the uni-rail.........must have been to lighten the rig. :D

David Tucker said:
Which RE long arms are we talking about? I was under the impression that the new ones for the XJ were not out as of yet. Are we talking about using the ones that are already out for the TJ on an XJ and fabbing a custom crossmember?

Just curious:confused:

Dave

I was under the impression that the arms are the same...hence the reason RE was selling an inboard bracket kit, which is the part that's not out yet. Either that or the XJ arms are a different length. Can anyone clarify? For the record, the ones I posted a pic of are TJ arms that went in about 2 years ago. :)

RE is using the same arms for both the TJ and the XJ. They have not released the XJ package as of yet due to the fact that they are concentrating on completeing the ZJ package first, for the XJ they still have to design the frame mounts, all the pictures you see of the XJ kit has the ZJ frame mounts on it

Very interesting. What sparked my interest was that in the RE catalogue I got, it lists the same part numbers for the arms for the TJ kit and the XJ kit. But on thier website, it lists different part numbers for the XJ arms and calls them "Radius Arms". Different pricing too!

Dave :dunno:

Back