• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spark plug help

j99xj

NAXJA Forum User
After reading some stuff on running lean after installing headers I decided to pull a spark plug and check.

I honestly can't tell whether or not I'm running lean. The white insulator would suggest I am but there is an awful lot of carbon deposits on the top threads suggesting a rich condition.

Please advise.

1214361717_l.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. My spark plug looks about a 23, "hot or lean, but ok."

I'm not running hot because my coolant temperature hardly ever exceeds 210, if ever.

So I must be running lean.

Here are my mods:
flat K&n filter
removal of the intake restrictor
60 mm bored throttle body
62 mm spacer
pacesetter header/downpipe
2.5 cat
2.25 high flow cat back

All these mods put me at about 215 to 220 horsepower at SEA LEVEL. Thats 187 hp at 5000 feet. 220*0.85=187

If my stock 22.5 lb/hr injectors are designed to support 190 hp stock, at sea level, then why can't they support 187 hp at 5000 feet??

Is this a fuel pump/pressure issue?

You are close to the point where injectors become a concern, but not there yet. But there are a few things you can do to richen the mixture without springing for new injectors. An adjustable MAP can help alot and is needed if you move up injectors anyway. Moving the IAT to the intake tube will probably get you where you need to be and hardly cost anything. You can always get an adjustable FPR too.

j99xj said:
Will a Map adjuster work for a 1999 4.0 with OBDII?

Yeah what he said, the only difference is on a 98. So does a 98 have 22.5lb or 24lb injectors?

CartsXJ said:
Yeah what he said, the only difference is on a 98. So does a 98 have 22.5lb or 24lb injectors?

I think 96-99s are 23.2 lb/hr. This is what Dr. Dyno says.

Mines a 99 but I have the 22.5 kind.

But anyway it would be super nice to know if map adjusters work for us. It would be the next thing I do to my Jeep when I get time to do so.

Last edited:
Back