• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering noise

OKinNC

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I just purchased my first XJ about a week ago. It's a 89 with 130k. My question is my power steering pump whines or moans whenever I turn. The levels are good. Is this normal? By the way I love my new old XJ.

A little whine or moan is normal, but make sure the serpentine belt is good and tight. It should be tighter than you're used to if you've been used to either v-belts or idler-tensioned serpentines. There is a gauge you can get at NAPA called a "Krikit II," but for starters, take the longest unsupported span at the top and try to twist it. It should not be possible with ordinary force to twist it more than 90 degrees.

Thanks Matthew. I'll check the serpentine belt. I'm pretty sure it's good though. I think it's just that I've been driving rice burners for so long I've forgotten what a real vehicle sounds like.

Back