• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4cyl-6cyl engine swap

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
how much of a PITA is it to swap out the 4cyl driveline and put in a 6cyl driveline. anyone done it?

dunno, I'd go for a 4cyl and do just this personally, why? comes with 4.10s or even 4.56s out of the PO's driveway. It's easier to find an engine/transmission/some driveshafts on here than it is to find 4.10s, and there is a lot less competition.

I like my little 4banger comanche. I plan on running it until I rank up, then go LSx

thats what im looking at getting. but im afraid its not gonna be enough power for like 32's or 33s you know? and the manches arent easy to come by so i wanted to swoop up on it while its there. and if a straight 6 swap isnt too hard then that would be awesome

honestly i would go for the 4 banger. the 6 only puts out 10 hp and 15 tq more then the 4 and gets worse mpg. if you do a swap do a ls

Oh, it's an MJ? Grab it. GRAB IT GRAB IT GRAB IT

They're getting a lot rarer these days...

honestly i would go for the 4 banger. the 6 only puts out 10 hp and 15 tq more then the 4 and gets worse mpg. if you do a swap do a ls

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Try about 70 more hp and almost 50% more tq for the same mpg for a 4.0ho vs 2.5

but I would still snag a cheap mj if only for selling off parts (very profitable) I made almost $1000 parting out a $200 mj with a straight body

does anyone know if you can swap beds on the mj's? say i buy a long bed can i take the long bed off and put on a short bed? or is that just a stupid question?

yea i like the short beds more too.. im torn between a short bed 4cyl 2wd and a long bed 6cyl 4wd.. obviously i want 4wd and 6cyl, but i really dont like the long beds

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Try about 70 more hp and almost 50% more tq for the same mpg for a 4.0ho vs 2.5

but I would still snag a cheap mj if only for selling off parts (very profitable) I made almost $1000 parting out a $200 mj with a straight body

well i was referring to the only feasible 6 cyl engine that would be a mostly bolt in. that would be the 2.8. for one to do a 4.0 swap into a 2.5 jeep you have to move the firewall and/or the rad core support. and a core support wont bolt over from a 4.0jeep it woll have to be heavly modded/or custom built.

well i was referring to the only feasible 6 cyl engine that would be a mostly bolt in. that would be the 2.8. for one to do a 4.0 swap into a 2.5 jeep you have to move the firewall and/or the rad core support. and a core support wont bolt over from a 4.0jeep it woll have to be heavly modded/or custom built.

That would be incorrect. It will actually swap right over if you have all the parts. On the '86 and possible '87 years you may have to massage the firewall a little bit, but anything newer and it will swap right over. Just takes a lot of work over a weekend. If you have a running donor it will work out just fine.

If you would of read, its a 4 banger MJ, which was made starting in '86. I highly doubt it is an '86, so no need to move the firewall, core support, ect..

I thought the 6 cyl he was talking about was a 2JZ-GTE. :looney:

Last edited:

WUT?:dunno:

ya i was being a idoit. i was thinking my jeep wich is a 85 2.5er . my bad sorry guys

Back