• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear upper shock bolt size

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
Changed shocks yesterday and everytrhing went fine until the rear drivers side bolt busted. The head snapped off, leaving the threads flush with where it mounts in the body. I used some jbweld on the head and let it sit for a bit, so i could take it out for a spin to feel the difference and its so much nicer of a ride. We drove it for quite a bit last night. I look under it today and it looks like is wiggling out from under the good bolt. I've never had luck with bolt extractors but looking at individual sets from sears for a few bucks I might give it a try. Otherwise I was just thinking QuikSteel (awesome stuff), since it just has to limit movement side to side. Does anybody know the bolt size so I can pick up a replacement if I can get the broken one out/?

Changed shocks yesterday and everytrhing went fine until the rear drivers side bolt busted. The head snapped off, leaving the threads flush with where it mounts in the body. I used some jbweld on the head and let it sit for a bit, so i could take it out for a spin to feel the difference and its so much nicer of a ride. We drove it for quite a bit last night. I look under it today and it looks like is wiggling out from under the good bolt. I've never had luck with bolt extractors but looking at individual sets from sears for a few bucks I might give it a try. Otherwise I was just thinking QuikSteel (awesome stuff), since it just has to limit movement side to side. Does anybody know the bolt size so I can pick up a replacement if I can get the broken one out/?[/quotee] I usually just get a punch and break the weln nut off and use a normal bolt and nut. way easier than drilling,etc.

yup give it a good whack,dont smash ur fingers. Its a little hard to get a washer and nut on one of the drivers side. I glued the washer to the nut to make it easier to get them both on.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Do you happen to know the bolt size? Last time I ran to the store it ended up being a few trips because homedepot/lowes didn't carry the size I needed and I was eyeing it. :( Last resort I'll gob quicksteel all over it :eyes:

Bought a drill bit and appropriate bolt extractor, got the hole drilled and everything but ran out of time before I had to go into work, the drill I have wont turn the extractor once it starts to dig in.

The bolt is also a M8x1.25 x 25 if anybody ever happens to run into the same problem.

Back