• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Quarter Panel Armor for your XJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlintocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
A new company is here to serve the needs of the wheeling XJ owner. SlickRock Gear was started because we could never find what we were looking for in a crusher corner http://www.slickrockgear.com

SlickRock Gear quarter panels are constructed of 3/16" plate steel, flares will come in 3 1/2" widths and 6 1/2" widths (for you guys in tire width states). Flares are constructed of 3/16" plate steel, trimmed with 1/2" box tube (1/8" wall). Mounting hardware is stainless steel.

In addition to offering a quarter panel that will cover that bottom box behind the tire, we also offer a quarter panel that stops at that body line for those who have cut and tucked that box up and out of the way. Front fenders are being designed now. We might come around and ask you guys for some input and what you would like to see (what would you like to see in a front tube fender).

We are Cherokee owners and have been wheeling the poor girl for 4 years now, so we know what is available out there and what works. We also understand the advantages and pitfalls of the internet store. We strive to offer you a great product delivered in a reasonable amount of time. We're lacking on pictures at the moment but more pictures should be posted within the next few days.

Currently, all orders received by September 30 will receive an additional $75 off there order. IN the future we plan to offer regional association members and members of United Four Wheel Drive an additional discount.

Thanks and we'll see you on the trail.

Russ Hawkins
SLICKROCK GEAR

post it here. I think we'd all like to see it.

I was thinking, if the quarter panel gets hit so does the tail light. Any plans to offer armored tail lights?

Yes, the finished product will have taillight protection incorporated into it. Will have slots to see the corner lamps (red and amber).

any plan to make matching front?

Yes. Will probably start production in 2 weeks.

Will the fenders also 'play nice' with 97+ XJs?

Any estimate cost of a complete 'package' for front and rear?

Will the fenders also 'play nice' with 97+ XJs?

Yes I'm pretty sure they will. The only exception being the oh so subtle difference in taillights. On 97 and up, there will be a little piece at the top of the taillight thats still exposed (1/2"). Otherwise I'm pretty sure the sheetmetal stamps under the plastic cladding are the same as the older ones.

Very nice! I was just thinking of a similar desgin last week for my 2000 XJ. Do you plan to offer them for the 97+ XJ? Also, what is the installation like, how much cutting? What skill level is needed? Any re-informacement in the flare? How does it mount?

I run an aftermarket bumper with lower quarter protection built-in. I want to keep that, so would there be an opportunity for "customization? Also, maybe make the front of the flare tapper in towards the rock rail?

What does the front look like? I am interested in a complete set-up. 3 1/2 flare woudl be perfect on all 4 corners.

Thanks,
Robert

Do you plan to offer them for the 97+ XJ?

Yes, the panels should fit 97 and up, the only difference between the older models and the 97 and up is around the tail light/tail gate.

Also, what is the installation like, how much cutting?

Cutting is a relative term really. You will be cutting to the pinch seam and then cutting reliefs in the pinch seams and rolling them back ( the flare extends inward to cover this area so its not exposed). A sawzall/angle grinder, a hammer and an allen wrench and an extra set of hands are all thats needed.

Any re-informacement in the flare

The flare extends inward an extra 1.5" or so. For the rears there is a brace that mounts to the "frame" rail from the inner portion of the flare.

I run an aftermarket bumper with lower quarter protection built-in. I want to keep that, so would there be an opportunity for "customization?

We will be offering a few different configurations, the full panel ( with a flare) with the rear box, the full panel (with flare) without the rear box and for those that have wrap around bumpers, just the panel with the flare. For others reading this, if you've removed the bottom box (the formed box that is between the rear tire and the rear bumper) and you do not have a bumper that wraps around to this area, there is a plate that runs across the bottom of this area along with some additional mounting that these panels will have. Before you order a panel that will be used with a wrap around bumper, contact us first and send us a picture so we're on the same page.

maybe make the front of the flare tapper in towards the rock rail

Done! Thats already part of the plan.

I am interested in a complete set-up. 3 1/2 flare woudl be perfect on all 4 corners

We're working on the front flares, we should have some mocked up fenders within the next month. We had a set but they just didn't look good so we scraped them and started over.

Other information, the panels will extend to cover the outward face of the rear tail light with a special design cut into the tail light area so your lights may be seen from the side.

Did I get all your questions? Let me know if anyone has any more questions.

Yes, I just uploaded more pics along with opening the store for business. I still have to do some organizing of the pictures and web stuff. Refresh your pages so you will see the "Photos" button on the Nav Bar.

yes! the pictures work i just had to click on them...Rear Quarters 4 DOOR ONLY with the plate for cut rear quarter panels is genious... i am ordering some here in the next week... perfect... are you planning on leaving the xj in the back or are you going to have other designs like just plain slits, etc... awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back