• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about drilling, cutting, etc.

KY Chris

NAXJA Forum User
First question: What is the best speed for drilling steel? Different thicknesses, different speeds? What about stainless or aluminum?
Second question: What is the best lube for cutting, tapping and drilling steel, aluminum, etc? I am guilty of grabbing the most convenient lube/oil (WD40, PB Blaster, 3 in 1, ATF, Gear oil, 10W30, etc). I know optimally I should use cutting oil, but is that any different from common lubes?

Save my bits, taps and blades...

KY Chris

It can be real hard to find .... wont find it at Home Depot for sure... but get some Dr. Chin's Sea Spider Oil ....

That stuff is great to use when drilling or cutting

Regards
Chewy

ChEwBaCcA said:
It can be real hard to find .... wont find it at Home Depot for sure... but get some Dr. Chin's Sea Spider Oil ....

That stuff is great to use when drilling or cutting

Regards
Chewy
Is that a Tandy product?

Magic Tap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grainger.

get yourself a drill speed chart.

when yer real good, you can just "tell".

basically, you want your "chips" looking like long curly pasta strands, and you don't want them showing much heat, maybe when they go to a straw color a touch of blue is okay, as long as yer not smokin the hell out of everything.

gonna take a drill to yer face.

Amatuers :rolleyes: It's Tap Magic.

rpm= (cs x4)/ d

cs = cutting speed
d= diameter of tool

when using high speed steel bits aluminum has a cs of 300-800, low carbon steel is 60-100, med carbon steel (4140) is 50-80.

As you can see, the larger the bit you use, the slower your speed should be. To give you a general reference, I typically run between 6-700 rpm in cold roll with a 1/2" drill bit.

The formula is just a general book reference, but it will get you started to getting the "feel" as B said. An old machinist once told me to run it until your chips turn white and then back off on your speed a bit.

What will help you the most is either learning how to sharpen your bits on your grinding wheel or buying a drill doctor.

Thanks guys.
Grainger doesn't carry Hawaiian Tropic that i know of. SPF 50 seems a little strong. I usually use 15 for steel and SPF 4 for aluminum.

Oh yeah, stainless's cs is 30-80. There's a ton of different grades of stainless though. I generally find it a severe pain to work with.

I operate three different CNC machines and the way i calculate drill speed seems to work real well.

The Formula:

Each material has a different cutting speed.
Harder Tool Steels: 50
Cold Roll Steel: 75
Aluminum: 100

Take that number and plug it into the Z spot in the formula.

3.82 x Z / Drill Diameter = drill speed.

Example Using a 5/16 standard high speed drill on cold roll:

3.82 x 75 / .3125 = 916 rpm on the drill

And if anyone wants the feed rate, i usually take about .oo5 per rev. So just multiply the rpm (916) by .oo5 = 4.5 in. per min. This will usually throw a nice curly chip and not starve your drill. Throwing the heat out with the chip.

Happy Machining, Gene

www.christopherstephencorp.com

thanks beezil, its a super nice place, our customers are in all the time, so we try to keep it spotless. i wish those pics were up to date so you could really see what the inside looks like, we have done some really cool machines in the last year, at least since those pics have been done. workin on some tooling for borg warner, cummins, allison transmission currently. I would have to do some research but i think the picture of the assymbly line at Aison Drivetrain is the same assybly line that tests our Jeep transfer cases before they make it to Jeep. We have done very small stuff for Atlas but hopefully some day we can do a large machine for Atlas, the customer always sends tons of example product to us so we can test the machine, then we throw out whatever we don't use.

57 hours this week, got to pass out, lata, Gene

Last edited:
Back