• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken WJ electric lock

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks, the rear passenger door of our 2k WJ has a broken electric lock. When you hit the clicker it makes a loud almost honk noise and doesn't unlock/lock. I have not taken it apart yet to check whats actually the matter, however preparing for the worst I'd like to know where I can find a replacement lock mechanism. I've looked around on google etc for a bit and can't find anything truly useful.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be and where I can find the parts?

First, identify the problem.

Go to dealer or salvage yard and get the needed part.

Anything else is trying to teach a pig how to sing--it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig. :roflmao:

Lol right, that was my initial plan. Going to tear apart the door saturday, mainly just looking for any guidance. I try to avoid the stealership as much as possible

First, identify the problem.

Go to dealer or salvage yard and get the needed part.

Anything else is trying to teach a pig how to sing--it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig. :roflmao:

1. It's the actuator.

2. Stay away from OEM parts, they'll just do it again. They're known for it.

That said, I haven't opened mine up to source a similar replacement. I've yet to visit the Grand Cherokee forums to see what has been done. My mechanic at work used to be a Chrysler tech and is VERY familiar with them. ;) He did mention the possibility of going through JC Whitney and getting a generic power lock actuator and fitting it. I'm keeping my eyes open for a spare door to dink around with before taking on mine. I've got two that are bad on my wife's WJ. :(

Ah, so this is a fairly common problem I take it

I've got the exact same problem on my wife's 99 WJ. Was hoping to find the fix when I saw this thread. :)
Might pop the panel tomorrow and see if the local ex-Jeep dealer still has anything in the parts dept.

Back