• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ radiators, a review.

Then again, do they use epoxy on the FFD radiator?

Last edited:
Then again, do they use epoxy on the FFD radiator?

I couldn't tell you that. I assumed it was welded all around. When I contacted FFD they were anything but helpful. This Rad supposedly has a lifetime warranty, but that warranty doesn't apply if you don't also buy their triple electric fan kit.... which I did not buy since they don't work that well from my past experience. SAME radiator but the warranty doesn't apply apparently. So I'm just going w/a new Metal/Brass unit f/ Summit so hopefully it will take care of this for a long long long time. :)

So yesterday I finally got around to installing the Summit Replacement Radiator for the leaking FFD one.

For the most part everything went well. While i was changing the Rad out I also had a leaking High-Pressure Power Steering line I changed out which added a bit of time and lots of cleanup to my job.

2 Things about the Summit Radiator that I'd change...

1. The top drivers side mounting bracket was about 1" too far outboard. I had to drill a hole in the top radiator support so that it would work. Wasn't a big deal, but still not the best. (Also noted that the bracket mount bolts had to be cut w/a dremel a little over 1/4" to get the rad support to sit down on the Rad.

2. The stupid Petcock valve LEAKS!! This is the 3rd new rad that I've installed on verious vehicles over the past year and all 3 of them leaked on the d@mn petcock. I made sure it was tight before I installed it but I should've pulled it out, teflon taped and made sure it would never leak. I NEVER use those to drain my radiator but they sure give me problems. Now I'm going to see if that stops over the next couple of weeks and if it doesn't, I'll have to drain the fresh coolant and pull the Rad out and seal this up somehow. It's just frustrating that they leak from the 'factory' and I'm frustrated w/myself for not making sure I took care of it before installation. Ugh!!!

Note: the FFD Radiator that had been leaking was stained down the entire Drivers side seam w/the outside tank to the fins. If that makes sense where I'm talking about.

I also bypassed the Auto Transmission line hookup for the Radiator and just plumbed it straight into my Transmission Cooler. That all appears to be good but since I don't have a temperature gauge on my transmission I'm not sure how to know the temps. Would that be visible using my scanning tool? It reads live data, but I wasn't sure if our XJ's have an input from the computer for that?

Don't think the computer monitors the trans temp.

Odd with the bracket as mine lined right up. I did swap out my drain valve for a brass one but did it after the fact and didn't have any leaking either. I was screwed in super tight however.

Don't think the computer monitors the trans temp.

Odd with the bracket as mine lined right up. I did swap out my drain valve for a brass one but did it after the fact and didn't have any leaking either. I was screwed in super tight however.

You don't happen to recall the part number for that new brass drain valve? If mine doesn't leak a lot it may be a bit before I decide I want to remove it and then redo it... although, this time it should be a lot faster to do since I re-plumbed the auto transmission lines and won't need to replace the PS pump line this time. :)

Been in touch w/ Summit and they're sending me out a replacement radiator since mine has been leaking since install. I mentioned to them that it was the Petcock leaking and they told me they could give me a partial refund and allow me to fix it myself negating the warranty, or just send me a new one and then I can return the 'new' bad one. So I opted to just do a swap and keep the 1 yr warranty in case something else happens. I am however going to install the Brass 1/4" NPT plug on the new one before installation.

As a side note, my jeep has been running fine, the heater getting nice and warm inside the cabin and my temp gauge and scantron tool temp telling me the XJ is running ~ 198 degrees. Although I've noticed when checking for heavier leaks after driving that the top radiator hose, although hot, has no pressure in it? Would that be because of the slow leaking petcock or possibly something else? I've never had a radiator hose be soft when the vehicle should be pressured up and after driving it in stop and go traffic for 30 min. Just wondering if my Rad Cap is bad or maybe it's just a sign of the slow leak in my radiator?? Any ideas? (Note, sorry if this is busying up this Radiator Thread. I can start a new one if that's a good idea as well)

The Mishimoto is keeping me solid at 195 with the 11.4:1 stroker with the AC on.

Would buy again

My Summit HD radiator seems to be doing just fine. Granted it's only been ~ 1 month... but even when my Secondary Electric fan blew a fuse and wasn't running my engine temps stayed cool for a few days of traffic driving. Granted it was only ~ 85 Deg F outside but I can't complain. Haven't had any real hot days to really test it out yet however.

The Mishimoto is keeping me solid at 195 with the 11.4:1 stroker with the AC on.

Would buy again

on dash or OBDII? I put in the mishimoto last year and have been overall pretty happy.

I'm around 200 on the dash while coasting along, 210-215 at idle or while climbing. obd is pretty solid between 195-210; the front temp sensor.

on dash or OBDII? I put in the mishimoto last year and have been overall pretty happy.

I'm around 200 on the dash while coasting along, 210-215 at idle or while climbing. obd is pretty solid between 195-210; the front temp sensor.

The only sensor on the OBDII system is the front sensor. It provides data for both ECU and the dash gauge. Unless the 96 had both like the 95 and older did.

The only sensor on the OBDII system is the front sensor. It provides data for both ECU and the dash gauge. Unless the 96 had both like the 95 and older did.

The '96 have both,..at least my late '96 (the bastard child) have both.

I am still debating. Should I get a Summit with 2 - 3/4 inch tubes or Mishimoto with 2 - 1 inch tubes? Copper/brass or the other guy?

The '96 have both,..at least my late '96 (the bastard child) have both.

I am still debating. Should I get a Summit with 2 - 3/4 inch tubes or Mishimoto with 2 - 1 inch tubes? Copper/brass or the other guy?

My 96 has both sensors too

As for radiators, I’ll be going brass/copper when the time comes

Looks like there is 10% off on summit branded products at the moment

Last edited:
yep mines a 96! so I get a bit higher on the dash (rear of the engine) than the front (obd 2, where air is hitting the radiator and thermostat housing.)

That makes sense since they were equipped with the older gauge cluster.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Update: The FF Dynamics radiator has been running great in the last few months. It got a little warm today (215*) sitting at stoplights in 85-degree heat, but I think it's more about my fan clutch being bad rather than the radiator. Once I kicked on the electric fan, it cooled right down.

Back