NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum For Discussion of Modications related to Prerunning, JeepSpeed, KOH, Rock Racing, and any other speed based competitions

Old July 20th, 2008, 13:07
NAXJA Member

Re: Nice Comanche race truck build

Yeah, and it had some monster 1/4 eliptical springs in the rear. Like 15-20 leaves in them.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old July 20th, 2008, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman
Yeah, and it had some monster 1/4 eliptical springs in the rear. Like 15-20 leaves in them.
I wish I could find those pictures, I originally saw them about 4 years ago, and haven't been able to find them since.

Justin
Old July 20th, 2008, 19:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Yeah, and it had some monster 1/4 elliptical springs in the rear. Like 15-20 leaves in them.
I have not heard someone bring up that design in 10 years. I had a Friend that bought a old either class 8 or 1 truck (can't remember) but he never could end making it work, kept braking the rear leaf pack where it had this huge pre-load Allen bolt.
Old July 20th, 2008, 19:45
NAXJA Forum User

this is the one.....
Old July 20th, 2008, 20:01
NAXJA Forum User

There's one more of it here, but it has been repainted, and it ran in the Jeepspeed Mopar outlaw class.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=119

I Also found some Pictures of Curt Leduc's Sky Jacker Grand Cherokee.

The one thing I don't understand from the picture I just posted was the number.
It's running in Class 8. I figured it would be in Class 7 because Class 8 was full sized trucks...

Justin
Old July 20th, 2008, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

Here's the one of LeDuc's ZJ, but I can't seem to find any other picture od either. Both of those Seem to have ran the Baja in 2003 and possibly some MDR BITD events but I'm having trouble finding it.

Justin
Old July 20th, 2008, 22:00
NAXJA Forum User

I only saw it race one time, I wonder what happened ? back to the horsepower machine is my guess.
Old July 20th, 2008, 22:06
NAXJA Forum User

[quote=FordGuy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcm
is there any reason to have huge frame rails all that way back when the 4 link rear mounts are around the b-pillar, with the shocks right behind that... Would it be preferable to go full tube from pretty much the b-pillar back, with the frame rails curving in and back, similar to these pics, ending at the shocks mounts?

The weight from two project tires, a jack, spare axle, drive-shaft, and add a 40 plus gal fuel cell hanging off of the back is a ridiculous amount of weight, not to mention what happens when you get bumped by an ass like Robby Gordon.

I]
thanks for the answer.
anyone else have any opinions on this? im sure it CAN be done, with enough tube and triangulation.... hell the TT's do it! and i dont plan to go withint 20mph of their top speeds or duty cycle. maybe with mounting the cell as close to the cab as possible, and only running 1 spare? this wouldnt see baja racing, at most MDR or something stateside. and how would you mount a tube chassis to a somewhat stock, but reinforced front end?if you attached it at like 15-20 points, would the jungle gym effect be enough to keep from ripping it off?
Old July 20th, 2008, 22:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
So, do you have any tech to discuss??

NOPE, NONE TO BE FOUND. im neither testing anything, nor building anything at the moment, this could be considered my 'research stage'
thanks for breaking balls and pointing out my inferiority though!
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:52
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcm
NOPE, NONE TO BE FOUND. im neither testing anything, nor building anything at the moment, this could be considered my 'research stage'
thanks for breaking balls and pointing out my inferiority though!
Hey, don't worry about it, I was teasing you. (you know, smiley face and all) I got a kick out of you saying let's get it back to tech and then posting links to other articles. Good articles, BTW, but nothing in them specifically about building a desert truck or vehicle design. Like you, I'm reading and researching stuff all the time, it's part of the enjoyment of the sport along with building them and using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcm
anyone else have any opinions on this? im sure it CAN be done, with enough tube and triangulation.... hell the TT's do it! and i dont plan to go withint 20mph of their top speeds or duty cycle. maybe with mounting the cell as close to the cab as possible, and only running 1 spare? this wouldnt see baja racing, at most MDR or something stateside. and how would you mount a tube chassis to a somewhat stock, but reinforced front end?if you attached it at like 15-20 points, would the jungle gym effect be enough to keep from ripping it off?
Yes, you can build it with more tube and less frame. Where you cut the frame doesn't matter as far as strength goes, the attachment of tube to frame is the same regardless of where you do it. Check out Capt Ron's MJ buggy or my XJ buggy for examples of what you're talking about, and there are plenty of others. However, there's no particular benefit to having more tube and less frame other than getting the design parameters that you're after. Many buggies and desert trucks are fabbed up with rectangular tube or stock frames to meet class requirements, no real difference between using all tube.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:12
NAXJA Forum User

thanks for the clarification goatman.