• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

x factor steering questions

heffercow32

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have seen a few posts on here about people who said they were installing the rock krawler x factor steering but i havent seen any testimonial posts. if you have this setup what do you think about it? if you dont have this setup what do you think or what have you heard about it? i almost bought the rustys conversion until reading some posts on here so i want to make sure what i am going to buy will work. so yall let me know. thanks

oh ya i am currently running 8 inches of lift with 35s

it's awesome imo

I'm impressed by it's strength. It turns well and is very predictable.

Here's some pics.
2005_0211RKSteering.jpg

2006_0211RKsteeringarm.jpg

It was pretty east to set toe on tyhe alignment even though you have to pull the tie rod to adjust the heims.
I run it with their trackbar and bracket also.

Solid!

does the track bar have to be relocated? and it uses the stock knuckles correct. thanks for the response and sorry about all the questions im just tryin to make sure i buy the right thing the first time

what is the clearance between tie rod and drag link? it is hard to tell from that view, the tie rod is bent for clearance?

i called them one day. it is designed so the track bar and swaybar links dont have to be relocated. Yes the tierod is bent to clear the swaybar links

It looks like the tie rod end at the pitman arm is already on pretty good angle with the vehicle at static ride height. Does it bind at all when the passenger side droops?

Bender said:
It looks like the tie rod end at the pitman arm is already on pretty good angle with the vehicle at static ride height. Does it bind at all when the passenger side droops?

I was looking at the same thing. Passxj could you get a picture of the TRE at the pitman arm?

the only Issue I would ask about IMO is what do they use at the pitman arm? a standard 5/8" hiem will not droop more then like 25deg and a stock tre is at 22-25deg. I am at 7" and had to use a 1" hiem with 5/8" high-mis spacers, that yielded like 34deg and now I can droop the axle12" and not have any binding.... With a 5/8" heim I would guess you would get maybe 2-3" of total droop at 7" of lift.....

can you post a pict of the pitman arm side?

Thanks

Well, you guys got me on a good day. Here you go.

2006_0227007.jpg

2006_0227006.jpg

2006_0227005.jpg

2006_0227004.jpg

2006_0227003.jpg

2006_0227001.jpg

And the passenger side will droop until the 11" travel shock bottoms out. I'm working on limiting staps. The Draglink is at 14 degrees right now with a 1" drop pitman arm. The lower Trackbar mount is in the stock location.

well it looks good to me, now to find one. do you know who sells these things online? all i can find are tj ones. where did you get yours and what was the price if you dont mind me asking

well if its at a indeed only 14deg now then at say 25deg (pushing it) if its a stock higher deg type end your only going to get 6-7/8" worth of droop. Thats not bad though. But if its a most standard type TRE then your looking at about 22deg and thats about 5" of droop.

ROBERTK said:
well if its at a indeed only 14deg now then at say 25deg (pushing it) if its a stock higher deg type end your only going to get 6-7/8" worth of droop. Thats not bad though. But if its a most standard type TRE then your looking at about 22deg and thats about 5" of droop.

If you'd like you can come over and we'll go test it together.

passxj said:
If you'd like you can come over and we'll go test it together.

haha.. No thanks.. Your a little far.... And thats what math is for.

PS a typ draglink for 7" on a inverted Y is 33" (total CL to CL) I imagine RK's is closer to 37" helping the angles some, but since the DL end is still close to under the knuckle I dont know by how much it helps though.

DL_MODEL.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I unhooked the draglink and took a picture.

A2006_0227.jpg

You also need to calculate for about 8" more in length to center of wheel.

Math is great. Let's talk reality though.

passxj said:

A2006_0227.jpg

You actually need to measure straight down, not at the angle that you have it at. So it's less than what your pic shows.:lecture:

Kyung

passxj said:

A2006_0227.jpg

The way you're showing the measurement is not correct. You actually need to measure straight down, not at an angle. And you also have to take into consideration that the weight of the drag link is stressing the joint (I know -- not much) like that.

Kyung

EDIT: whoops how did I do that twice?:gag:

passxj said:

A2006_0227.jpg

that is GOOD info right there! That is something that needs to be posted someplace for future reference.

Sorry if you think I am tring to argue. You seem defensive? I am only posting what I recently found and how I looked at this issue.

RK must use the stock pitman arm TRE? The stock TJ style has the higher 25-26deg poss. The RK setup would be awesome with the Currie TRE from the draglink on their setup!

As for the measurement I am suspect that you may have more then a 1" Drop pitman? And yes straight down is a bit more acurate, but in that fashion there, it would make only a slight difference.

If you read your posts, You will notice a distinct tone of doubt.

I don't take offense. I just like to explain the truth.

I do have a 1" drop pitman. It is the stock TRE and I don't know how old it is. I'm sure it is worn.

It flexes more than and shock will accomodate and still fit in factory locations. As far as I can find at least.

What specs do the Currie TRE's have? I will have to replace mine anyway.(someday)

I'm at 7" in front now. I just lowered it an inch last weekend.

Back