• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapped np242 for np231. Question.

Bigredrage

NAXJA Forum User
94 XJ 4.0 I6. Previous owner must have switch to a 242 when did 4.5" terraflex lift.

242 exploded, got 231 from junkyard. Installed 231 and found that the sensor on 231 is 2 prong (i believe speedo) when my male plug in is a 3 prong.

I have searched quite a bit online but have found only information on the switch, not on the sensors. Seeking input or a write up on possibly moving the sensors (female ends) from the 242 onto the 231 or what my options would be.

Also, the linkage that attaches to the 231 has a rectangle cut out and where it adapts to has a rectangle it should go over to allot the lever to shift the tcase. Any tips on getting it to go over the rectangular piece? I cannot seem to get it on right.

Thx for information.

Im not sure if the year really matters, but what year did you pull it out of? Perhaps its a 97+ plus or something.

I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in eventually.

i seem to have found that the sensors are a plug and play swap, gonna try it tonight.

As far as the linkage issue I am reading that the tcase and the shifter should be in neutral and then I just have to get it on there somehow.

Yeah, you can just swap the sender and gear into the other case. Make sure you clock it correctly or it will strip the teeth off the gear in short order, and I'd recommend buying a new O-ring for the sender housing before starting, it's part number 6035709 on jeep4x4center.com. They get crunchy and/or you pinch them by accident putting the housing back in.

Other way you can do this is some splicing and a resistor to make the 2 pin sender work with a 3 pin harness, but there's no reason to do that when doing it the right way requires a 1/2" wrench and 20 minutes, tops.

There are numbers marked on the side of the VSS housing, you choose the range that you are using (for example a stock 34 tooth gear you would use I think the 32-38 range, might be 32-36) and keep the numbers pointed straight down when you install the housing. The fork with the bolt that pushes the VSS into the tcase needs to have its points in the slots on the housing, so there are only like 4 ways to install it.

Re: Re: Swapped np242 for np231. Question.

There are numbers marked on the side of the VSS housing, you choose the range that you are using (for example a stock 34 tooth gear you would use I think the 32-38 range, might be 32-36) and keep the numbers pointed straight down when you install the housing. The fork with the bolt that pushes the VSS into the tcase needs to have its points in the slots on the housing, so there are only like 4 ways to install it.

I just shoved it in caveman style. So if anything it will just read incorrectly? If it's far off I'll do it again, it's a pretty simple job. The speedometer had been wrong since I bought it due to putting huge tires on it anyway

If anything, it will strip your speedo gear and you'll need to either junkyard one or spend 40 dollars on a new one. If it's REALLY far off, it just won't read at all, it's that middle ground where the gear teeth aren't engaged enough but are touching that can strip the teeth off.

Back