• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Why? Too hard to turn on a switch? Seems like another opportunity for a failure. IMHO

Because its a feature that I like. Every other modern car I have owned has had it, and I've gotten used to it.

Dallas had the shackles from his MJ sitting around, so while it was up on the lift I tossed them on the rear.

dAFtpd0h.jpg

Tie rod is available here:

http://www.stinkyfab.com/vehicle-sp...75-aluminum-xj-tj-zj-replacement-tie-rod.html

1" solid 7075. Probably about the same strength as a ZJ tie rod, except that it bends back and uses factory XJ ends, so easier to keep track of stuff.

Intentionally didn't buy a steering damper, wanted an honest feel for how the front end feels. I planned to add one later, but I may leave it off just to drive rockclimber crazy.

Stance with the new leafs and coils:

0J4cUIZh.jpg

Been driving it for a couple of weeks now, its a whole new car. I'm a driveshaft and bolting shifters in away from 4 wheel drive, which is nice too, but still mostly incidental.

The coils were a game changer, really softened up the front end. Now I just need to order up some Bilstein shocks and add a couple of hundred horsepower under the hood.

I'd skip the Bilstein's. I have a couple sets and don't like them, way to harsh over road bumps, etc.

I'd skip the Bilstein's. I have a couple sets and don't like them, way to harsh over road bumps, etc.

I wouldn't. I have had several sets and they ride better than anything you could ever imagine.

But you have to have the right shock and spring for your car. I have a pretty good idea at this point how to get the ride I want out of an XJ with Bilsteins. ;)

I wouldn't. I have had several sets and they ride better than anything you could ever imagine.

But you have to have the right shock and spring for your car. I have a pretty good idea at this point how to get the ride I want out of an XJ with Bilsteins. ;)

Tell us then please, cuz the bilstiens on mine ride like crap, and they are for the XJ w/4-5" of lift

31 x 10.5 / 15 tires
rustys 3" springs front & rear (on jeep when I got it)
1.75 spacer up front, 1.75 shackle in rear
CAD brackets (helped immensely, but still too rough)
WJ CA arms top & bottom
bilstien 5100's F & R, less than 2 yrs & 10k miles

Every bump feels like a curb was run over if you are below 45 mph (where most of my driving is), and even @ highway speeds, bumps are so harsh the jeep jumps sideways if you don't hit them at exactly 90 deg.

Low speed feels like I may as well not have shocks, and high speed with big bumps, it feels like the shock can't keep the tire on the road.

The same bumps in my Ram are barely felt for the most part.

Is it mostly the rear that feels that way?

I can tell you up front those coils are way too soft. Tell me that's not counter intuitive.. ;)

Is it mostly the rear that feels that way?

I can tell you up front those coils are way too soft. Tell me that's not counter intuitive.. ;)

NO, but the rear seems worse due to the harshness letting it jump sideways.

There's one bump I have to go over that if it has been raining, the rear of the jeep feels like is shifts sideways a foot when I hit it @ 45. Enough I have to steer to correct it.

I plan on shackle relo brackets soon in the rear to try & help. The ride has been like this from day one of the shocks being on it.

The rear sounds like the shackle angle is WAY off.

You you want your shackle pointing to the back at 30-45 degrees depending on how much uptravel you have. Is it fairly strait up and down?

The rear sounds like the shackle angle is WAY off.

You you want your shackle pointing to the back at 30-45 degrees depending on how much uptravel you have. Is it fairly strait up and down?

Yeah, that why I'm getting the relo brackets. Right now, concentrating on getting my frame stiffeners installed in the next week or two.

Had I been smart, when I rebuilt the shackle boxes a year or so ago (I made a post about it), I would have moved the bolt hole forward, but dummy me didn't think about it till it was too late.

Heck, you even called it a 'sexy repair'........ (too bad pics are gone now, and i see no way to insert a pic directly)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1123584&highlight=captured+nut

Last edited:
I have a bad memory, but i vaguely remember saying that. ;)

I'd start with the shackle angle, you'd be amazed how much that will change the entire behavior of the car. I doubt the shocks are anywhere remotely the problem, they just aren't able to compensate for other issues.

Well, they are exhibiting the same issues I've had on previous vehicles, and changing shocks solved them.

and the problems started when the shocks were installed.

not looking good in the isolate the problem arena

:)

I go back about 8 posts to mentioning needing the right shock and spring for your car.

Spring includes leaf, shackle, and their combined mounts and geometry.

You can go from bad to worse still using the right parts..

I go back about 8 posts to mentioning needing the right shock and spring for your car.

Spring includes leaf, shackle, and their combined mounts and geometry.

You can go from bad to worse still using the right parts..

Agree....but the ONLY thing changed was the shocks.......old shocks rode well but were old, new shocks ride bad, and were new

I fail to see how relo brackets can change the harshness in the front...change in back is kinda obvious

Back