• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over head console

Donniemiller97xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the forum, and I thought this would be the best place for honest answer about my 97 Cherokee. I installed a over head control out of a 98 Cherokee limited. The 98 was fully loaded and I was wondering if what else I needed to make the message center work or if it was a big headache. Thanks for any ideas

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

First when you say a '98 Cherokee Limited are you talking about an XJ?
Do you have the harness from the '98?
If so repinning a connector or two will probably be necessary. Down in the fuse area in the footwell. You will use the ones from your dome light harness.
You can see the difference in connectors here:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1130387

My experience lies in putting a '99 overhead in my '00. I had to repin one connector for the fuse box and use the lighted vanity visors from the '99. I probably could have gotten around that and used the ones from the '00 but since I took them from the part out vehicle I figured why bother.
Why I always tell people when doing stuff like this do your research and take everything even remotely connected to the project just in case.

You will also need the outside temperature sensor. On a '90 it sits just behind the front bumper towards the center.

Thank you! Helps out a lot. I'll have to go back to the junk yard and take some more parts off of it.

Thank you! Helps out a lot. I'll have to go back to the junk yard and take some more parts off of it.

Did you not grab harness? Also not only will you want the temp sensor up front but if it is there grab the little jumper harness too. Do you have the bracket? I am betting you don't need the visors. The thing with a '99 is that the vanity lights are only one wire with an internal ground. My '00 is 2 wire with an external ground. So my harness being from a '99 would not have the ground to work with my '00 visors. Betting '97 to '99 are one wire with an internal ground. If the key fob is in there and you have the IR panel in the overhead for the door locks grab the fob too.

I didn't grab the harness cause someone told me that it should be plug and play and I don't know a bunch about Jeeps. I've always had 80-93 dodge trucks so so I'm still learning about stuff with the xjs. But I'll have to go back for the harness. I got the vanity mirrors that are one wire. Another question is how do I tell what trim package does my xj have?

Mine just says Cherokee on the doors. Has power locks and windows, power mirrors, and headed mirrors. I figured it was just basic. I'll have to check the VIN

Has all the guages, here's a pic of it
c258dcf802b69ab8b1dfd4e1bfd2b575.jpg

Kind of forgot. If nobody has swapped seats on it. One piece buckets would most likely make it a Sport. Removable headrest buckets makes it up a notch or tow.

Just out of curiosity. The light bar on the roof. How do the wires feed to it?

Definitely a sport then, I have the wires running up the door seal and in threw the fender. Everything is pretty well hidden.

Definitely a sport then, I have the wires running up the door seal and in threw the fender. Everything is pretty well hidden.

So there are not any new holes in the Jeep? LOL?
Someday when you get a chance could post a picture of where they come through to the light?

Thanks for the shots.
So none of that is messing with the doors opening or closing?
I might, stress the word might. put a 50" light on my '00.
Would prefer to not drill a hole for the wiring though. LOL.

Only holes I've drilled is for the mounts themselves, but none of it messes with the doors since I have them tucked in as nice as I could get it.

Only holes I've drilled is for the mounts themselves, but none of it messes with the doors since I have them tucked in as nice as I could get it.

I picked up some mounts on Ebay cheap but they don't need to be drilled to be attached to the Jeep. But then again guess it would make it easier to steal the light.

Well what does it say on the side. Sport, Classic, Country, or Limited? Thinking the Limited wasn't in '97 though. What you really want to know is what options you have.
So go here and put in the VIN to hopefully get the build sheet.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Now notice how it says not for before '98? Try it anyway. Some guys have said it has worked for them.

This site worked for my '90 as well as my original '93. VERY COOL!

Well what does it say on the side. Sport, Classic, Country, or Limited? Thinking the Limited wasn't in '97 though. What you really want to know is what options you have.
So go here and put in the VIN to hopefully get the build sheet.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Now notice how it says not for before '98? Try it anyway. Some guys have said it has worked for them.
Worked on my 95. I also emailed jeep customer service directly and got one from them as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back