• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dampeners on the front.

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The 5150's on the front of my XJ are tired and need to be replaced. And besides, since I changed the OEM coils to some stiffer ones then added bigger brakes they were not up to the task. Add JK take off wheels which weigh a bit more than the 235-75-15,..well, the need to keep the front tires firmly planted exist.

The present shocks allowed 10" of travel and measured 15" to 25" +/- .5". The provided 255 /70 dampening force. Who offers shocks that would fit with no modifications to the XJ and a bit stiffer?

If you're talking about the Jeep in your tag line, your best bet will probably be a pair of Rancho shucks, part number RS999239. They have adjustable valving so you can set the firmness. Fox offers a "similar" shock, but they're pricey, part number 985-26-108.

If you're talking about the Jeep in your tag line, your best bet will probably be a pair of Rancho shucks, part number RS999239. They have adjustable valving so you can set the firmness. Fox offers a "similar" shock, but they're pricey, part number 985-26-108.

I had my mind set on Bilstein 5160 but at $200.00 per corner,....that is a bit too steep for me. I need a comfortable ride that will last a while.

I will look at the Rancho. What are the reviews like?

Amazon reviews on that particular Rancho shock seem to be pretty good, 3.9/5. One reviewer said the adjustment didn't actually seem to do much, but your mileage may vary.

Amazon reviews on that particular Rancho shock seem to be pretty good, 3.9/5. One reviewer said the adjustment didn't actually seem to do much, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks JeepNoob. I have heard of Rancho but the reviews are mixed. I am not sure about the 'in cab adjustment', just one more thing to distract an already distracted driver.

In my mind, the 255/70's could be a bit stiffer. I know there are some XJ'ers here that have installed shacks with 360/80 valving. What are your thoughts, what extra weight have you added to the OEM front axle weight?

Then there are Bilstein and Fox (remote reservoir). What is the preferred brand. I am leaning toward Bilstein because of the top stud for the front of the XJ.

Where are the NAXJA sponsor's that carry shocks?

I just bought a pair of Bilstein 33-230429 shocks with 360/80 valving (17" collapsed, 28" extended) but haven't installed them yet. If I get around to it tomorrow, I'll leave a ride report.

I just bought a pair of Bilstein 33-230429 shocks with 360/80 valving (17" collapsed, 28" extended) but haven't installed them yet. If I get around to it tomorrow, I'll leave a ride report.

OK. Please do.

Thanks.

OK. Please do.

Thanks.

I finally got around to installing the front shocks. 360/80 is the way to go. The front axle used to feel like it was going to come up thru the oil pan on washboard roads. It was so much more controlled when wheeling today, it was a huge difference.

Back