NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:12
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: Titan Monster 4.9 300 Cubic Inch Jeep Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gadagg3r View Post
I have had a Titan 4.7 in my renix XJ for over 2 years now and am very pleased. Service was excellent and they answered all my questions. You guys that dont have personal experiance with a company shouldnt spread rumors. In my case Titan provided a great product and I would not hesitate to buy from them again. I am from Northern Michigan and am in no way affiliated with Titan, so dont even go there.

If you havent dealt with a company, dont badmouth them.
well, you see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
We have dealt with them. We've dealt with them coming on to our forums, creating multiple fake accounts and using them to lie about their products.

Not the actions of a respectable company.
took the words right out of my mouth.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old March 27th, 2012, 20:42
NAXJA Forum User

Getting around 13-15 in the city, about the same as my old XJ with 33s and a 4.0. Ran 26# injectors I believe and a 63mm TB, going to upgrading my exhaust soon. Will probably look into getting an AEM programmer and getting it dyno tuned eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian View Post
Thanks for the update. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Also what did you do to get this running? Larger injectors and/or adjustable MAP sensor? Anything else? Sorry if you've already said in a prior post.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:50
NAXJA Forum User

Let me know when you are ready to do the AEM F/IC and I will help you out! I will suggest a larger TB, 65mm at the very least. I ran a 68mm (from the 4.7L V8) on the 4.7L Stroker I built way back when. Can help you with that as well... I am also going to suggest 2.5" cat back along with a good performance cat.

I run a Magnaflow cat and a Heartthrob 2.5" cat back. Works just fine and not to loud.
Old April 4th, 2012, 20:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darky View Post
So how about all the people above you who have dealt with them and say they're crap?

I was clearly not talking about people who HAVE dealt with them.
Old April 5th, 2012, 00:37
NAXJA Forum User

This is Dan who sold you the Dana 30 btw in case you didn't realize. Do you think there would be that much of a hp difference from a 63 or a 65 to a 68mm TB? I wouldn't imagine it would be worth it for the hp increase compared to the price of a 68mm. Oh yeah got a new header and I'm going to get a high flow precat replacement from Catco and probably just run 2.5" pipe with a high flow cat and no muffler and see how it sounds.

Can't remember are you running an AEM programmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-gauge-steamer View Post
Let me know when you are ready to do the AEM F/IC and I will help you out! I will suggest a larger TB, 65mm at the very least. I ran a 68mm (from the 4.7L V8) on the 4.7L Stroker I built way back when. Can help you with that as well... I am also going to suggest 2.5" cat back along with a good performance cat.

I run a Magnaflow cat and a Heartthrob 2.5" cat back. Works just fine and not to loud.
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:49
NAXJA Forum User

Dan, I put my 68mm TB together for less than $100.00. Do not waste money on a custom built TB when you can fab for less. And it made a huge difference on the 4.7L I had. Perks up the acceleration like you would not believe. Jeep runs a 68mm on the 4.7L for a reason. The reason being that it needs the air flow. So does your 4.9L, only more so.

FYI, I run an AEM F/IC8 on my Heep to control the timing and thte somewhat larger injectors as well as to correct the Speedo. The programming software is free from the AEM website and all you need is a laptop to run it on. To do it right, you also need to install a wideband O2 sensor and have a method to read the PCM via the OBDII port. I can help there also as I have the hardware and software. Ideally you want the Long Term Fuel Trim to be less than 3% and the Short Term Fuel Trim to be less than 5%. These values we can read right out of the PCM while it is running.

No biggie, just consumes a bit of time.

Also, the front end works just fine and I could not be happier with it.
Old April 7th, 2012, 22:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortxjdoug View Post
what he said.... the only reason a 4.7 is going in my jeep is because i got a spankin deal on it, otherwise my money would have bee better spent on a 5.3 or an LS1
After all I've researched/reviewed on Titan, Golen and 505, I'm certain I'd go with 505 and their turbo-charged set up.

However, having observed the LS2 installed in an XJ, that is the route I've determined to pursue. Since I have the $$$ to do so, I'm going with an LS3 installation.
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
After all I've researched/reviewed on Titan, Golen and 505, I'm certain I'd go with 505 and their turbo-charged set up.

However, having observed the LS2 installed in an XJ, that is the route I've determined to pursue. Since I have the $$$ to do so, I'm going with an LS3 installation.
That guy you quoted helped with the build of the LS2 XJ! if you got the money the LS swap is a no brainer. I, however, don't have that kind of money....
[/QUOTE]
Old June 26th, 2012, 13:03
NAXJA Forum User

This thread has become famous on other XJ and Jeep forums and talk around the "water cooler" at my shop. Don't have actual figures, but I would willing to say that it has hurt Titan sales of their Jeep products. They do have a great reputation with their GM products though.
Old June 26th, 2012, 18:16
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

This thread keeps on delivering in ways that only a few will ever know about. I love it.
It got one of the TOTY nominees for last year banned, guess who?
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexdXJ View Post
That guy you quoted helped with the build of the LS2 XJ! if you got the money the LS swap is a no brainer. I, however, don't have that kind of money....
having had a stroker, the 5.3L swap is more desirable to me than a stroker. if you source the parts and are patient, you can have as little into a 5.3L as you will a stroker... i see low mileage motors and trannys with wiring harnesses for $500 pop up around my area fairly regularly. your talking more power, more torque, all in an unmodified motor. which to me equates to reliability. throw a mild cam in it and watch the numbers. a lot of strokers run beautifully, but i also see a lot of them on the net needing a rebuild before 100k miles. i guess there are a lot of variables for that. obviously you will have a lot more time and fab spent on a project like this, but i dont see cost as an arguement of stroker vs V8, specifically with the 5.3L. the LS series may differ.

alas, that is not what this thread is about.
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:21
NAXJA Forum User

^^Good points here. The Golen I had, way back when, failed due to the fact that the assembler did not know what he was doing. Left a part out, the spring at the front of the cam, and it ate the distributor/oil pump drive gear.

There are many good points for a V8 fitment but, it is a ton of work for the average guy whereas a stroker can be dropped into the bay. On my installation, we just put larger injectors in it and called it a day. Ran rich as a witch until it went closed loop, but that was 10 years ago... Today, I would use a F/IC and larger injectors.
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:19
NAXJA Member

Yes, but those of us stuck with California's draconian and senseless smog laws have many fewer options then the rest of you. A stroker can pass the visual and smog tests. So while an engine swap has benefits not all of us have that avenue available.
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0L/AW4/242 T/C, Dana 30/Dana 44, ARB lockers + compressor with OBA, 4.11 Spicer Gears, Dana 44 modified for ABS and it works, 4 inch OME/DPG Hybrid Lift, 31-10.50 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine wheels, Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft, Adjustable JKS lower control arms. Armor: Rigidco front bumper with tow bar mounts, Driving lights, and Fog lights, Rigid D2 LED Lights, Detours Slimline rear Bumper with tire carrier, JCR stage 3 sliders, transfer case and fuel tank skids
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:51
NAXJA Member

Why do people in CA think we can't do engine swaps? Donor engine must be same model year or newer, have all smog related components intact and functional, and pass an emissions test. It's neither magic nor rocket science. People do it all the time.
Old June 27th, 2012, 19:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachandandy View Post
Why do people in CA think we can't do engine swaps? Donor engine must be same model year or newer, have all smog related components intact and functional, and pass an emissions test. It's neither magic nor rocket science. People do it all the time.

The hard part is the exhaust. You must use stock manifolds/headers and have the cat's in the factory location/measurement from the header. The ref probably isn't going to fail you for being a inch off but you gotta be close. The only way to do a pefrictly legal swap into a Cherokee is find a motor that has manifolds super close to the block and has an exhaust that comes togeather in a y into a single cat. Unless you can find a way to route a dual exhaust under there.

Most of the 5.3 swaps I have seen use an aftermarket header and wouldn't pass the ref in CA. I think the easiest to swap would be a 5.0 out of an Explorer because it comes with factory headers that you can heat up and bend in closer to the block for clearence of the frame. Plus everyone and thier grandma makes a standalone harness for the Ford fuel injection system. All the factory 5.3 manifolds I have seen terminate almost directly into the top of the frame.