• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling issue?

The Lure Washer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my 1990 renix with my 94 HO swap has been running fine. I noticed I was getting poor fuel mileage. So my truck was running today with the hood open for an unrelated thing and I noticed fuel coming out of the fuel pressure regulator. It had recently been disconnected when I did my head gasket. So I pulled it out and replaced the orings with some fuel grade orings. It ran fine and didnt leak anymore. This was this afternoon. So tonight I started it right up and drove to walmart, which is about 2 miles from my house. When I put my car in park I noticed that the Idle was on the high side. But nothing really high it was right around 1200rpm. So I spent about 20 minutes in walmart and returned to my car. I tried to start her and she turned over and died. I know its getting fuel cause I could smell it. So I let it sit for a while and Tried it again. Nothing. So I started looking at anything that would relate to a no start. That being fuel, spark, or air. Im getting fuel. Just How much I dont know. As for spark I started pulling plug wires off the distributer and I noticed that some of them where wet. I dried them out with a roll of paper towels and plugged them back up. Turned the key and she started. Ran it for 5 minutes, got in it to drive away, stepped on the gas and she died again. Restarted it and drove another hundred yards and it died again. Restarted it and drove it down the street to the bottom of the hill and got stuck at a red light, stepped on the gas again and she died once more. This time she wouldnt restart. So I started checking plug wires again. Some of them were damp. So I tried drying them again and nothing wouldnt start. I did take my car to the car wash this afternoon. Could moisture in my distributor cause it to run and then stall like that. So I ended up getting it towed home. Im just POed cause My car runs fine and all, now that tomorrow when I have to go to work shes gotta be a jerk.

Newly installed:
TPS
CPS
EGR
IAC
Fuel pressure regulator
T-stat
O2 sensor
head gasket

Stuff within the last year:
New cap, rotor, wires, plugs
new cooling system
coolant temp sensor

Someone Have some help.

Last edited:
Could moisture in my distributor cause it to run and then stall like that.

In a word, YES

Did water get into the engine bay during the wash?

The fact that your problems started only after you were in a car wash makes moisture look like a probable culprit here. Remove the distributor cap and dry them out with a hair dryer. Paper towels can't get into the nooks and crannies of a dist. cap. See if that resolves your symptoms.

Other possible areas for water intrusion would be any sensor connector. Unplugging and spraying with electrical cleaner may help you there.....but start with the dist. cap.

Last edited:
Whenever I wash my engine, I bring enough stuff to at least pop the distributor cap and dry it out with a clean rag or paper towel. If it won't run with wet wires, the wires need to be replaced. Dielectric grease at the wire caps helps too.

So I went out this morning and she started right up. It ran for about 5 minutes and then I gave it some gas. She died right away. So I pulled the coil and tested it. Thats fine. I Pulled the distributor and there was a bit of corrosion on the #1 post. Cleaned that and put it back together. There was no moisture in there. So now Im back to fuel pulled the fuel line out of the pressure regulator. Thats the only thing else I messed with yesterday.

Back