• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creating a standalone map?

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
So I've got family all across the country and want to get them networked. What I'm looking for is something that is NOT web-based, but each family can have something that shows where the others are. Not everyone has Internet, so this would be something to put on disk. It needs to show major cities so that someone not real familiar with geography can see who is closest to what city. Does that make sense?

Go to Barnes and Noble.

Get twenty pocket maps of the US.

Get a sharpie.

Write names on said map.

Mail them out.

Gahd man, quit asking such stupid questions! :tawk:

So I've got family all across the country and want to get them networked. What I'm looking for is something that is NOT web-based, but each family can have something that shows where the others are. Not everyone has Internet, so this would be something to put on disk. It needs to show major cities so that someone not real familiar with geography can see who is closest to what city. Does that make sense?

Yup.. Unca Jed doesn't know where Cousin / ex-wife Cicily lives these days but wants to make sure he stays away from thar cause she's not the forgivin' kind... :anon:

So if they don't all have computers a data CD wouldn't work. Sounds like you need to make a movie. Then you can burn it to DVD or VHS as necessary for the individual relative. I presume you are talking about Grandparents who have no desire to have a computer... So a video they can watch plus a map they can hold in their hands would be the ticket.

So if they don't all have computers a data CD wouldn't work. Sounds like you need to make a movie. Then you can burn it to DVD or VHS as necessary for the individual relative. I presume you are talking about Grandparents who have no desire to have a computer... So a video they can watch plus a map they can hold in their hands would be the ticket.

No sir, I said that not everyone has the internets. :D Give me a little more credit than that. How about a hypothetical that this is a group of Army buddies who all have computers but don't want the information web-based? ;)

Ah the conspiracy plot thickens.

No real worries though, I'd just wrap each disk in foil prior to mailing. party1:
Sounds like you need to jump over to the GPS web sites. You can trade locations and such via the various mapping programs there. Just mail your jump drives around or whatever. ..... Unless the US Military funded GPS system has inbedded coding that allows them to track anyone who receives a signal..... Perhaps MI is already on to you...

Sounds like you need to jump over to the GPS web sites. You can trade locations and such via the various mapping programs there. Just mail your jump drives around or whatever. ..... Unless the US Military funded GPS system has inbedded coding that allows them to track anyone who receives a signal..... Perhaps MI is already on to you...

Maybe we ARE MI. :shhh:

No conspiracy, it's just info that only known people are getting hold of. I did figure out a way to do it though. It actually stems from Geoff's smartypants reply, is hammer simple and also encrypted. Coffee kicked in.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do, but from what I understand, you and your "family" want to know where each other is, via a mapping program that can be shared by one another.
Try getting a few copies of MS Streets and Trips, you can put in push pins save addresses and even copy the files to a disk and mail them off to each other.

He wants a map that you can add a location (address, phone #, etc) but have it work from a local source (CD) and not online (google maps).

You could always create a .kml layer for google earth. I think that'd work.

I know what TFS is .. I was wondering if it was a trick question. If I say "yes" there could be some serious ramifications. If I say "no" maybe I'll anger the hidden Nazi population on this board.

Does it matter if I drive a Panzer?

I know what TFS is .. I was wondering if it was a trick question. If I say "yes" there could be some serious ramifications. If I say "no" maybe I'll anger the hidden Nazi population on this board.

You mean those who try to create non-Internet based secret maps of their co-conspires?

Does it matter if I drive a Panzer?

Nah. What really matters are your Zyklon B supplies.

Back