• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ stalling issue

LAcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone,

didn't have anywhere else to turn, so here goes...

a few months ago, while RUNING on FUMES, I stopped at a gas station, and shut the car off. After pumping a good amount, I tried to start the car, and nothing... no engine turning nothing... after struggling for a few minutes, the gas station attentand brought a portable charger, and still nothing. I switched the AUTO TRANS to N, and YES, it started right up... never figured out if it was the charging (doubt it), or some fuel issue.

fast forward a month or so, and the car started to periodically staling no real reason.. well, maybe after running it pretty low on fuel (bad habit?). same thing, I would put it in N, and it started.

about a month or so ago, this issue would still rear it's ugly head... but then I noticed the Check Engine light was coming on. it would flicker, and then go away. It was runing fine, engine oil preassure was good, temp was good...everything in terms of engine compartment, seems good. Fast forward another 2 weeks (oh, by this time then check engine light had gone out), and the issue happened again TODAY.. stalled TWICE on me.. and the engine light is on. A good buddy of mine back in L.A. who is a mechanic, said It could be the FUEL FILTER... I tried messing with it today, but I have to get some WD40 so loosen those bolts. Any Idea what this could be? Do you guys think it might be a fuel fliter issue? Other than that, the car runs perfect!! plugs are fresh, and its recently had an oil change.

OF NOTE: One of the times the engine light came on, I floored the gas pedal, and the light shut off.....

Jeep is a 96, auto 4.0 with about 168,000 miles - well maintained. had O2 censor replace about 1 1/2 years ago due to engine light.. but that's all I can think of....

should I replace the fuel filter next to the rear tire? if so, is it true I have to disconnect the battery? why?

appreciate any help

Albert in Portland OR

On the Neutral Safety Switch, google on "NSS Jeep Clean" and you'll get a few good writeups on cleaning it. On the stalling and engine codes, google on pulling the engine codes using the key on-off trick.

Thanks guys,

One quick coment:

I don't have a problem with the rear lights not coming on (at least I havent noticed), the problem is that I may be in Drive, at a stop, or just driving down the road, and the car will just shut-off as if I turned the ignition off. Do you still think it might be this NSS Switch? also, can that switch be adjusted?

Do I need any special tools to do it? I'm not too mechanically savvy, but am willing to give it a try.

LAcherokee said:
I don't have a problem with the rear lights not coming on (at least I havent noticed), the problem is that I may be in Drive, at a stop, or just driving down the road, and the car will just shut-off as if I turned the ignition off. Do you still think it might be this NSS Switch? also, can that switch be adjusted?

Do I need any special tools to do it? I'm not too mechanically savvy, but am willing to give it a try.

I suggested the NSS when you said it wouldn't turn over until you put in in N. That won't make it stall though. You should be able to R&R the NSS sensor with a socket set and a philips screwdriver. The stalling could be a number of things, but the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is a common problem.

Yeah.. the whole NEUTRAL thing is not really a problem since it's happened maybe twice in the past 3 months... the main problem I'm having is that the car dies while it is being driven, and can only be started by shifting to newtral and then turning the key, and then place back on DRIVE.

Thanks,

Al

Back