• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for trans cooler?

whatwave

NAXJA Forum User
So my XJ does not have an ATF cooler and I'd like to be able to tow small trailers. Curious if anyone here could suggest a specific trans cooler to pull the trigger on?

I bought a fin and plate cooler out of a square body Ford Explorer. (Like a 1988) Bought at a Pick-a-Part for $25.

Only use a plate/fin cooler and as large as you can fit. I run the 11" x11" version of these.
https://www.haydenauto.com/en/products/transmission-oil-coolers/hayden-transmission-oil-coolers/hd-cool

I see you are in a hot part of the country. But if you are in a more temperate area where you have cold winters, hot summers and moderate fall and spring is it necessary to go "as large as you can fit"?

I'm thinking I'd like to supplement the standard cooling but minimize the flow restriction to the condenser and radiator by keeping the unit a little smaller.

I see you are in a hot part of the country. But if you are in a more temperate area where you have cold winters, hot summers and moderate fall and spring is it necessary to go "as large as you can fit"?

I'm thinking I'd like to supplement the standard cooling but minimize the flow restriction to the condenser and radiator by keeping the unit a little smaller.

You might check out the B&M trans coolers. The ones with the integral barbs are suppose to regulate the flow through. Or flow through when cold and then flow through the plates when warm.
I do have a tube and fin on my '98. I do plan to use two plate type from a Grand Cherokee.

You might check out the B&M trans coolers. The ones with the integral barbs are suppose to regulate the flow through. Or flow through when cold and then flow through the plates when warm.
I do have a tube and fin on my '98. I do plan to use two plate type from a Grand Cherokee.

I'm actually looking at the B&M 70624 cooler. Seems closer to the OE size though I would probably be mounting it vertically so the lines come out the side vs the top. They have the feature you mention.

Aeroquip pushloc hose with an-6 fittings, with the earls or summit threaded oring adapters at the trans to replace the oem plastic quick disconnects. 90 degrees out of the trans, Secured with rubber cushion/adel clamps. Then a decent cooler with appropriate connections to go straight to barbs with hose clamps.

Make it as nice as how much you care, but I’d consider the above the minimum.

Back