• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help! Renix with an issue!

Bensride

NAXJA Forum User
First the symptoms then what I have checked. BTW 90XJ with 93HO motor all renix electronics. Distributor, tps, cps etc.
while driving to work yesterday up a fairly steep hill I noticed that it seemed like I didnt have near the normal amount of power. Nothing real huge just seemed off.
Then heading home last night going up the otherside of the hill I was barely doing 35 mph (normally can accelerate up to whatever speed up this side). Last night I blew out my air filter (was fine) and disconnected the battery and re-set the computer.
It seemed to rev fine when parked but with perhaps a little more intake "throaty" sound than normal. While driving still seemed to make more noise like its really putting the power out but no go! from a stop it takes about 1/2 block (300ft ?) to shift out of first gear at 3000rpm! And I noticed that while it was idling it made a funny throaty "hickup" at two different times.
Today I drove it about 3 miles to my bosses house and caught a ride. Tonight it seems to be getting worse. I was thinking transmission but now its not reving up right in park (thank goodness??) While manually operating the TB it doesnt want to rev up past like 3K if I wick it on pretty fast it sounds real throaty and revs up slower than normal and then starts cutting out and generally sounding like shit. this is with the TB 3/4 the way open. Repeating this roll in to 3/4 throttle will get the engine to rev to 3K then 2.5K then 2K then 1.5K etc. Really being a shit! let it idle (which is fine btw) then try again with the same results. Now that ive written a book.. :)
I have:
Tested fuel pressure at the rail 30+ pounds (35-40 harbor frt gauge) tested with the vac disconnected from regulator. Both similar pressures - seemed normal
Tested TPS .84VDC at idle slowly rolled on the TB seemed to go smooth to 4.4VDC or something like that. Tested the AT one also similar readings (digital multimeter btw)
Sprayed choke cleaner arount everything on the intake or vacuum related with no change.
Oh and it did its funny intake noise throaty hickup thing once again tonight.
I am thinking: CPS (check that tomorrow night 125-275 ohms hot right?) Possibly a plugged cat its less than a year old but?
Ideas??
Thanks in advance for the help! this is my only daily driver yes on 35's :) lol so the help is much appreciated!!

Not the typical symptom for a CPS. Sounds like a CAT or a MAP.

Shouldnt the fuel pressure be around 45 psi?

Oh and its not doing the usual renix thing of a quick little rev to about 1500? rpm before idling when you start it either.

Any other ideas? TIA :)

Back