• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Temperature Gauge/Braking point of ATF?

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
OK, i installed a cooler, on the box it said 8000#s, should be more than enough for my DD(80%) and 20% off road. I also installed an autometer gauge on a gauge pod, used to monitor tranny fluid temp. What is a braking point of the tranny fluid, what is a "normal" range/operational range of a transmission, because mine shows between 150-180F.

Ive had a guage on my tranny for more than a year and it runs about the same...maybe a hair cooler. The ONLY time it gets hot it climbing a steady grade FS road ect where it runs between 2nd and 3rd with the TC unlocked.

I have heard that 300 or so degrees is the point of no return for ATF but could be wrong. My tranny sucks and will start spewing/shift funny at just over 250*

cool, thanks:)!

Did you put the sender in the pan or in the pressure line of the trans. You probably will see some higher numbers if its in line. Most guys with the diesel trucks put it here. Dont forget to cool is not good either, trans parts need to be at correct temp to work. Do a search on line and you can fine some good info that shows a graph of heat degradation. I think 300 is above what is considered spent, but cant recall for sure.

Back