• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 gear pattern check, first gear install

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
My first attempt at installing gear on a HP D30. I broke a ring gear tooth and needed to replace my 4.56 gears.

First run I am just trying to set the pinion depth
Pinion
Inner bearing cap shims .052 (this includes the step baffle)
Outer bearing shims .078
Preload 45in/lbs way to tight could hardly move the pinion by hand

Carrier
Ring gear side .042
None Ring gear .025
Backlash .001

To me the pinion was way too deep and I needed to remove some outer bearing shims and some inner bearing cap shims.

101_4770.jpg

101_4768.jpg

101_4767.jpg

101_4765.jpg

101_4764.jpg

101_4763.jpg

Second run to get pinion depth
Pinion
Inner bearing cap shims .042
Outer bearing shims .060
Preload 26in/lbs

Carrier bearings I didn’t change any shims as I was still trying to get the pinion depth
Backlash .006

101_4776.jpg

101_4775.jpg

101_4774.jpg

101_4773.jpg

101_4772.jpg

101_4771.jpg

Now the pinion is too shallow, I am thinking I need to add .007 to the inner pinion bearing cap shims and need some advice/help
Thanks

Yes, WAY too shallow.

Add some to bring the pinion gear out and see what your pattern looks like. It's going to tighten up the backlash some, but that can be adjusted as well by adding .002 to the NRGS.

Good luck!

I think .007 add would be too much, unless you plan to overshoot it and "split the difference" with another pattern. I would add .003. and pull another pattern. Also, move the camera away another 3 or 4 inches for the shot. The gears are in poor focus, but the case focus is perfect.

I will give the .003, I was thinking that the second patern was a lot more shallow then the first was deap when I pulled the .010 out the first time and was thiking .007 would get me closer to what I wanted. I really think this is the hardest part of gear set up so far, knowing what how much to change the shim to get the pattern to move.

Yeah I wasn't happy with the camrea focus when I put it on the computer, but I had already buttoned up the case for the night. Working on this and having it a DD is fun.

Friday I plan on spending all day on it thanks for the help.

Ok I think I am getting close but it's still to shallow on the coast side.

Pinion depth Inner bearing cap shims .048
outer pinion bearing shims .033
Preload 45 in/lbs (too much)
RGS .046
NRGS .035
Backlash .009

100_4784.jpg

100_4783.jpg

100_4782.jpg

100_4788.jpg

I still looks like I need to add some shim to the pinion depth if I can get another .003 that should help the coast side a little. Then I need to decrease the backlash adding .005 to the RGS. after that I will add some shim to decrease the preload.
Thoughts?

Also try to keep your backlash more consistant,.009" is a little loose for a D30.

How does this pattern look? I think I am pretty close

Inner pinion cap shims .052
Pinion Preload 35 in/lbs
RGS .048
NRGS .030
BL .006

100_4804.jpg

100_4800.jpg

100_4799.jpg

100_4798.jpg

100_4797.jpg

It's getting better but you gotta first get your pinion preload within spec. It doesn't make sense (to me) to work on the pattern until you first have your pinion preload dialed in.

I'd take some shims off of the outer bearing shim pack. For me, .005 knocked off about 10 IN/lbs from the preload.

I have been focusing on the depth, and for some reason was thinking preload could be between 20 and 40 in/lbs.. not sure where I got that..

I actually had the preload at 10in/lbs and took out .012 to tighten it up.. I'll hit that tomorrow as well easy fix.

Hows the depth you think another .002 should get it closer and do you think the Drive side is getting to deep?

The depth is looking pretty decent. I'd get the preload dialed in and run another pattern.

Dude,your pretty close,are you using set-up bearings?This will change things a little bit.As already stated,get your depth and pre-load set and finish up the backlash,"your done"!

I think this is the one, hows it look?

Inner pinion shims .0545
Pinion preload 14 in/lbs
RGS .048
NRGS .033
Backlash .008

100_4814.jpg

100_4812.jpg

100_4810.jpg

100_4809.jpg

also this is with set up bearings on the carrier. I am hoping it won't change too much

Heres the pattern I am going to run with. Give me a sanity, how's it look?

Pinion depth .0545
Pinon preload is at 14 in/Lbs
RGS .047
NRGS .034
BL is .006

100_4827.jpg

100_4823.jpg

100_4819.jpg

100_4816.jpg

wow this is an old post, the setup worked great no issues with the pattern.. although I don't run this axle any longer, I ran it for about a year as a DD not issues.

I realize this is an old thread as indicated by the guy who wrote you before me. Your write up is the best one I have found on how to set up 4.56 gears in a Jeep front d30. You mentioned that your inner (front) pinion bearing shim depth included a "step baffle" I'm assuming that is between the bearing cup and the axle housing. Or so I have read. My question is this, does your inner pinion bearing shim depth include the inner oil slinger which is .010" thick and located between the inner bearing and the pinion gear head? Or will I need the full amount of inner shims plus the oil slinger to get my pinion depth set like yours was?

Thanks I really didn't think of this as a write up just trying to double check my work with those more experianced than I.

As for the baffle/slinger it is considered part of the shim pack so take the .10 as part of the total measurments.

There are also some pretty good right ups on installing gears. I used the Pirate one that Lowrange linked. although the pictures don't work for me now. I also used a link from Randy's Ring & Pinion can't find it now but I printed that off.

here is a link to the dana website and thier published service manuals.. you can get a lot from these.

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/depdf.aspx?prod=AXL

one suggestion if you haven't already done it is build or buy set up bearings.

good luck.

thanks alot for your pointers. I did see and read through the write up about the D60 on Pirate4x4. That is a VERY detailed and good write up but I was looking for a write on an HP D30 and when I found yours and even with 4.56 gears that was an added bonus. thanks again.

Back