• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new fenders to clear 33's

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
alight, i've been looking at new ideas to run 33's on my RE3.5 inch lift. i have been looking at the poison spyder flares and then building flares based on that, but i have never seen it done before on a cherokee. anyone have any cool ideas or pictures on building these new flares? here is what i had in mind. any ideas, thoughts? what i like about these flares, is that if its done right, makes the jeep look clean, vs just taking the flares off and hacking up the fenders. thanks for your help.

f9pms4.jpg

looks like it gets welded to the body, so you'll be repainting the entire vehicle (or a lot of it) once done if you want those good looks. I bet that Poison Spyder jeep also has much thicker body material than found in an XJ's fenders.
Did you want to weld something to the body?

no, there will be no welding to the body, the xj body panels are too thin for that. that particular jeep shown, has a pretty thick so called skid plate bolted to the original body which is why they were able to weld the flares to the body. My idea would be to make the same flare design with the round tubing and sheet metal, and attach it to my rocker gaurds, and also tie into my rear bumper, and same for the front. since it will not be attached to the xj body itself, i can cut the fenders even more then they already are, and go past the pinch welds etc.

i was actually looking at doing that for a long time..like a flat fender front and just bring the into sliders then something like that out back.. needless to say my lack of fabbing skills and lack of knowing anyone who could i just trimmed mine and used bondo to make it "pretty" painted it all black and vwola. .

keep us posted.

anyone trying calling east side offroad?

o and im running 33 10.5s on a sagging 3inch

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing something similiar to what your talking about this winter. My buddy fabs stuff really well and built tube fenders for his taco. I plan on runnin from a custom bumper to the front fenders to a rocker panel replaced rock guard then to the rear fenders and attaching to the rear bumper. In essence it would make a complete tube "frame" around my jeep. He does a clean install and doesn't stick out like these other jeeps (those fenders look like they could hang up on something, esp. if its 33" tires).

fender5.JPG

actually that isn't 2 tubes, its one. The other part on top is like a plastic moldable strip that makes it so that the cut on the fender isn't showing. I think it makes it nice because every other tube fender I've seen, you can see behind the tube to the body and it looks like it sticks out a bunch. This way it looks more like its an actual fender flare, but way cooler.

FitchVA said:
i don't quite remember where i got these, but i had them on my hard drive ...

2expo_088.jpg

2expo_090.jpg

i think this idea looks nice but those welds are discusting

Nawwww....they are designed like that....the rough work generates a lower co-efficient of drag as well as serving as a crush zone in case the body brushes a small shrub....... :laugh3:

with a little cutting you can get some tj flares . it takes a bit of planing for the rears if you have a 4 door but the fronts go on easy and look good.

Yeah, but everyone's doing that. I think my reason for doing them the way that's he's talking about is so that not only do you get a little structural strength but its also tougher than a bushwacker or TJ flare, so when they rip off, your not spending $$$ (these won't rip off).

I wish there was an easy way to make the sheet metal going to the body at an angle instead of flat. I guess some people like the flat fender look but personally I think the stock flares on an XJ look great they're just not wide enough. flat looks too boxy and protruding.

i think the hardest part about the whole thing, is making the sheet metal follow the same contour as the body panels because they are not flat like the tj's. what i like more about these then the tj flares is that they will look much more professional. thats really what im looking for, a nice professional look. it will just take some more time, and some metal forming to do. I'll probably be starting next weekend. keep the ideas, thoughts, and pictures coming in for more inspiration. Thanks.

Back