NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 2nd, 2021, 18:59
NAXJA Forum User

Front end shake

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. It is lifted about 3Ē with 31Ē tires. I just recently went from 30ís to 31ís and started noticing a shake in the steering wheel from the front end around 55mph. Itís not death wobble, but itís a pretty violent shake/vibration. Above or below it drives fine other than a little bump-steer. I know I donít have wheel/tire problems. I had the current tires rebalanced. Also had a different set of 31ís from a different Jeep on it with the same result. Iíve did the front end test by having someone else shake the steering wheel by watching all the tie rod ends, joints, etc. Everything looks fine including ball joints and wheel bearings. Just the other day it started shaking worse when I applied the brakes. First thought was warped rotors, but it only shakes in the same 55mph range as it did before. I just ordered control arm bushings. Other than that, Iím stumped. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Link to a video of the shaking is below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/MzL9uGI68Yw?feature=share
Old May 2nd, 2021, 20:21
NAXJA Member

Front end shake

Did you adjust your driveline angle after the lift? Are you running a transfer case drop, SYE, etc?

Did you have the vibration with the previous tires?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old May 3rd, 2021, 05:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Front end shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWiAu View Post
Did you adjust your driveline angle after the lift? Are you running a transfer case drop, SYE, etc?

Did you have the vibration with the previous tires?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I do not have an SYE or TC drop, but it doesnít feel like driveline vibes to me. It didnít do it either until I went to 31ís, or at least I didnít notice it with the lighter tires.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:32
NAXJA Forum User

You may need an alignment .
Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:35
NAXJA Forum User

You definitely need to do a alignment as that's still a form of death wobble. You need to check all your steering/suspension components.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:44
NAXJA Forum User

What brand of tires and wheels?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 07:13
NAXJA Forum User

I bought this to help see these types of problems. It's been invaluable for seeing things under actual driving conditions and lots of other projects.
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Lens-Endoscope-DEPSTECH-Inspection-Adjustable/dp/B087Q55SQX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3RTUYB42B9JV9&dchild=1&keywords=de pstech+borescope&qid=1620050987&sprefix=depstech+% 2Caps%2C429&sr=8-5
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
What brand of tires and wheels?
Theyíre dextero DAT1 all terrains from Walmart. Theyíre a cheaper tire but I donít suspect them to be the issue because Iíve had a completely different set of 31ís on it from my dads Jeep and it still shakes.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:12
NAXJA Forum User

I have stock control arms so caster alignment isn’t available. So just the toe alignment could help the shake?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:32
NAXJA Forum User

Well the only thing that changes with tire size is the amount of toe but you still have a under-lying issue that's allowing the movement in your system.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:03
Freakish Hand Strength

Is the front axle centered under the body with an adjustable Track Bar ?

I recently fixed a death wobble by replacing the stock frame side track bar bracket bolts. The old bolts had rusted away at the bracket, and allowed the bracket to wiggle. No amount of added torque would hold the bracket, the bolts were actually melted away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 11:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Is the front axle centered under the body with an adjustable Track Bar ?

I recently fixed a death wobble by replacing the stock frame side track bar bracket bolts. The old bolts had rusted away at the bracket, and allowed the bracket to wiggle. No amount of added torque would hold the bracket, the bolts were actually melted away.
Stock track bar. Youíre talking the bracket itself, not where the bar mounts to it?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, that and the steering box spacer/bolts are also a common cause.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 14:09
NAXJA Forum User

Front axle U-joints can cause a speed-sensitive vibration. Almost identical to a tire balance vibration and at about the same speed. Usually at around 60 MPH+/- is when it is the worst.
A visual inspection of the U-joints and an issue often doesn't show up, but there is a trick, look for rust dust on the U-joint cap rubber seal. Or do it right, jack up one side and try to spin the tire with a long extension or something similar jammed in the U-joint and look for play at the rubber seal. Any play at all and the U-joint is failing.
Worth a look, I check mine periodically anyway, usually during my springtime or pre-winter inspection.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 14:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mud View Post
Front axle U-joints can cause a speed-sensitive vibration. Almost identical to a tire balance vibration and at about the same speed. Usually at around 60 MPH+/- is when it is the worst.
A visual inspection of the U-joints and an issue often doesn't show up, but there is a trick, look for rust dust on the U-joint cap rubber seal. Or do it right, jack up one side and try to spin the tire with a long extension or something similar jammed in the U-joint and look for play at the rubber seal. Any play at all and the U-joint is failing.
Worth a look, I check mine periodically anyway, usually during my springtime or pre-winter inspection.
I do have a bad axle u joint. Didnít know of it would cause that much of a shake, but itís a cheap fix if so