• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vista pro heater core updates?

steventure

NAXJA Forum User
Is this still the best option, did it last? I think I’ve read every heater core related thread out there. Parts stores seem to be a crapshoot either way and the vista pro is certainly pricier. So is it worth it is what I’d like to hear.

I'm curious why folks like copper core heater cores better than aluminum? Aluminum is more flexible, gives up heat more readily, etc. I would think the copper cores might be slightly more resistant to damage, but aluminum is better for transferring heat from liquid to air than copper. Copper is more conductive if you're talking direct contact conduction, but that's not what's happening in liquid to air. Same reason radiators are aluminum, you want to convert air heat to liquid heat in a radiator. The exact opposite but same principle in heater cores?

I'm curious why folks like copper core heater cores better than aluminum? Aluminum is more flexible, gives up heat more readily, etc. I would think the copper cores might be slightly more resistant to damage, but aluminum is better for transferring heat from liquid to air than copper. Copper is more conductive if you're talking direct contact conduction, but that's not what's happening in liquid to air. Same reason radiators are aluminum, you want to convert air heat to liquid heat in a radiator. The exact opposite but same principle in heater cores?

I’m not opposed to aluminum. But I’ve read too many “failed after 2 months” reviews.

399233 is the OEM part number. I just pulled my Superior Cooling Co heater core out of its box, and its in fact a TSM copper/brass heater core.

Where are you seeing a Vista Pro copper/brass for sale?

eBay/Amazon and they show the same part number. That’s why I figured they’re the same just reboxed

399233 is the OEM part number. I just pulled my Superior Cooling Co heater core out of its box, and its in fact a TSM copper/brass heater core.

Where are you seeing a Vista Pro copper/brass for sale?

How is the quality? Do the solders look ok, did it come wrapped with foam, how does it fit?
Thanks, more than likely the one you linked is the one I’ll go with

How is the quality? Do the solders look ok, did it come wrapped with foam, how does it fit?
Thanks, more than likely the one you linked is the one I’ll go with

I've got one of the Superior cores, the workman ship is great but no they don't come with any foam.

The main reason why people purchase the copper core is because it's such a PITA to do you will not want to do it again!

The main reason why people purchase the copper core is because it's such a PITA to do you will not want to do it again!

You ain’t kidding, I’ve never done it myself but I’ve read up on it and watched some videos. It’s seems more time consuming than difficult. Wish me luck!

LOL, I've had my core for about 2yrs now and still haven't got the courage to dig out the dash(2000)!

Copper/brass is desirable because it has a wider pH compatibility range than aluminum, so if for some reason your coolant pH gets out of spec, copper/brass will corrode more slowly than aluminum.

Radiator and heater core do exactly the same thing, which is remove heat from coolant liquid. Copper conducts heat much better than aluminum. Aluminum is cheaper than copper. Strength and other physical properties differ and result in different construction (tube number and size and fins) for each to achieve similar performance. Both are used in alloy form as well.

I just did quick google search and found articles claiming copper was better and others saying aluminum was better.

When I have to do my heater core, I will care only about which manufacturer/model is most reliable as I only want to do this once.

Back