• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some basic questions

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if 4High is engaging on a Command-Track equipped XJ, in addition to the selector lever position. The reason I ask is that I tried to engage 4wd today on a wet/sand road, and couldn't tell a difference. I'm just checking things out to see if they work before I need them.

Also, I noticed an unattached connector next to the TPS. It is a 4 prong plastic connector with three wires: Red, Red, and a grey/black. The only markings on it are "RED 32". Any ideas? I don't see it listed in my Haynes manual.

Thanks

Copperhead

You don't mention what year XJ you have, so we don't know whether it has a front-axle disconnect. In either version, though, you should see a light on the dash that says "4WD" or "Part time" and if you don't, it's a good bet you're not engaged. In the case of disconnect-equipped command tracs, the light is operated by vacuum which is switched by the disconnect motor itself, so it shouldn't say 4WD unless it's really in. You might try putting it in 4WD, driving forward a few feet, stopping the Jeep while still in gear or in Park and jacking up one front wheel. If it turns, you are not in 4WD.

If you do have a disconnect axle, check vacuum lines and connections to the disconnect motor, which is on the right-hand axle section.

Is the extra plug connected to the TPS itself? Is it a pre-91 manual shift? If so, you probably have the TPS for an automatic, which has an extra layer for the transmission control. No worries - the engine controlling part is the same in both.

Thanks,

The Jeep is a 1987 model, 5-speed manual. No light came on indicating 4wd. I will check for the lines when I get some light.

Copperhead

1987- Laredo, 2d, 4.0, stock
1996- Sport, 4d, 4.0HO, stock, 2wd

4wd is now working:D

Thanks for all your help guys. the problem was a loose connection inder the car (a two pronged off-set connector). I cleaned it up and put it back on and all seems well. It is still pretty loose in there though.

Copperhead

That connector can get pretty soft with age. If you keep track of which line is which, you can yank it off and replace it with fresh vacuum hoses. If you don't want to do that, you could try holding it in place with a long wire tie.

Back