• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Priming Oil Pump right now, how do I know it's working?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I'm out here trying to prime the oil pump, I am spinning the pump CW through the distributer hole. It was super easy to start, then got very hard. How to do know the cycle is complete? What is the end result I should see here. BTW I have my valve cover off if that makes it easier.

Thanks!

Todd

engine out, I now notice that when I spin CW that the screw driver (if released, will spin back) if I spin CCW it is substantially easier. I'm pretty sure I should spin CW though, since when you spin the crank CW as if the vehical was on, the disti also spins CW.

Any body?

no I did not, didn't say to do that in the 97 FSM I can tell you that I have oil in my filter, I have a remote mount, and I forgot to hook the tubes up. Son of a bitch shot oil across my garage, 10ft when I 1st started spinning it. I run dual filter, both are full of oil, good sign I hope....

NHxj4x4 said:
no I did not, didn't say to do that in the 97 FSM I can tell you that I have oil in my filter, I have a remote mount, and I forgot to hook the tubes up. Son of a bitch shot oil across my garage, 10ft when I 1st started spinning it. I run dual filter, both are full of oil, good sign I hope....
Looks like your oil pump is primed to me.

cool, thanks guys, so I should not be concerned buy the tension of the oil pump, and the fact that it is unwinding (after spinning it a few times it will actually spin the other way once to relieve the tension...)

First, pack the pump with grease, assembly lube, or Vaseline.

Second (anyhow, I like to do it this way) unscrew the oil pressure sensor and hook up a mechanical gage. You can monitor with a helper and the electric gage, but I prefer the mechanical gage both because I can see it and I can tell just how much pressure I'm getting.

Third, run the pump for a good five minutes after you develop pressure, and make sure that the pressure is consistent while you drive the pump.

I'll usually "bump" the pump after I know I've got a good prime - just so I know that everything's alright. A little variation of drill motor speed, accompanied by a flutter in the gage, is a good thing to make sure everything's up to scratch.

5-90

5-90 said:
First, pack the pump with grease, assembly lube, or Vaseline.

Second (anyhow, I like to do it this way) unscrew the oil pressure sensor and hook up a mechanical gage. You can monitor with a helper and the electric gage, but I prefer the mechanical gage both because I can see it and I can tell just how much pressure I'm getting.

Third, run the pump for a good five minutes after you develop pressure, and make sure that the pressure is consistent while you drive the pump.

I'll usually "bump" the pump after I know I've got a good prime - just so I know that everything's alright. A little variation of drill motor speed, accompanied by a flutter in the gage, is a good thing to make sure everything's up to scratch.

5-90

Pretty much what I did, minuse the vasoline, and the mechanical gauge as I do not have one. I understood the directions. Based on my above posts, do you think that it sounds primed?

Thanks!

Todd

Yeah - if you're shooting oil, you're likely primed. Run it for a few minutes anyhow, so you can be sure that oil has gone all through the system.

A good mechanical oil pressure gage with a hose about three feet long is a good idea to have - I like to back-check my electric gage about once a quarter (but i've also installed a "T" fitting with a shut-off QD, so I just click it on and look. Click it off when I'm done.

Checking your electric gage with a mechanical gage about once a year isn't a bad idea - that helps keep you confident in your gage. You should do a comprehensive inspection of pretty much everything at least once a year - just so you know what's going on, and you'll catch a lot more problems before they become problems...

5-90

First off, that resistance you started feeling is the oil pressure building up in the system, thats a good thing and is normal. Thats what you want to feel.
Secondly, if you have the rocker cover off, after priming for a while, you should start to see oil emerge around the rocker arms and pushrods, this really shouldnt take too long to show up.
Continue doing this for a few minutes, as mentioned earlier, and you are good to go. Its quite simple, and sounds like you are on the right track.

BCKNBLK said:
First off, that resistance you started feeling is the oil pressure building up in the system, thats a good thing and is normal. Thats what you want to feel.
Secondly, if you have the rocker cover off, after priming for a while, you should start to see oil emerge around the rocker arms and pushrods, this really shouldnt take too long to show up.
Continue doing this for a few minutes, as mentioned earlier, and you are good to go. Its quite simple, and sounds like you are on the right track.

Just remember, it takes a few minutes to fill those lifters and get oil up top and oil flowing in the valve train area. Othewise it sounds good. I also use vasoline to prime the pump.

I like to make it a two person project. One running the drill and one using a breaker bar to turn over the engine a rev or two. That gives the lifters a chance to pump up and cycle through. You will get a lot less clatter when you first fire up.

Back