• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix 1988 hi idle at start up

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
hey I am wondering if / there is anything i can do anout the hi hidle start up.I keep having the IAC motor stay stuck when it starts up cause the friigin french renix crap is designed to retract the freakin thing all the way IN on start up and it starts at 3000 rpm hangs then comes down-hell sometimes it doesnt go back to idle and it sux balls!!!!!!! any ideas why it does this and what is there to fix it?all ready did tps and iac and tps adjusted correctly.....any takes?...........:badpc: I have the repair slips fro moriginal owner and he has ha dit looked at a gazzillion times.It has had different pcm,tps,crank sensot,map sensor....blaa blaa except fo new coolant and air temp sensors can this cause this intermitent hi idle start up???????

More than likely your power latch relay is hosed. It keeps the power to the computer for a few seconds after you turn off the key so that the computer can reset the IAC and be ready for starting the next time.

thanx OM I already tried it with a different relay --- same thing,funny its intermitent .... if i leave it out it starts at a low idle then picks up and idles great around 800 rpm,with it in it idles around 1000 - 1200-- SOMETIMES.........dunno I wish they didnt design it so gay......if the pcm knows where to set it while its runnin what in the hell were the frogs thinkin????

Hey no bad mouthing Renix. Some of us like them. It's like being married, once you find out what the quirks are, you can learn to manage.

old_man said:
More than likely your power latch relay is hosed. It keeps the power to the computer for a few seconds after you turn off the key so that the computer can reset the IAC and be ready for starting the next time.
X2 they are $7.50 at Oreilly auto here in KC, IIRC it is the one closest to the firewall.
2522672_11_full.jpg

Those 4 blue relays in the pic. Just take the front one and switch it with the back one. IIRC dont trust me on that though I think that the front is the AC and the back is the Latch relay.:smoker:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2522000-2522999/2522672_11_full.jpg

yeah I know old man.I DO like my renix system,hell I've tuned it in by timming adjustments and air/fuel ratio tunning as well,my timming is electronically adjustable with a timming box for Chevy LS1's go figure,well anyways my ONLY problem is with the idle circuit,IF I were only electronically smart enough to de-bug that part of the pcm.....I'd be a millionare!!!!!!!:looney: as I have searched this deal a LOT and it is just a design flaw,from what I can see/read is there are a lot of renix owners out there that can't get rid of this issue either.Just tryin to find out what other people have done to resolve there idle issue so I can try what others have done to fix there's IF they have that is...................:doh:

Back